Want to compose a prolonged submit on Twitter however afraid that all the things you need to say gained’t slot in a single tweet? The best possibility is to submit a collection of tweets and mix them into a Twitter thread (or a tweet thread).
With the tweet thread, you don’t have to restrict your self to the usual 280 characters. Instead, you need to use this social media platform to present further context or arguments in your level, in addition to replace it later with extra info. Below you’ll discover extra details about what Twitter threads seem like and how one can create your first one.
Table of Contents
What’s a Twitter Thread?
It used to be that each tweet had a strict character restrict of 140 characters, and that’s all you can write in a single submit on Twitter. However, because the platform advanced, Twitter customers stored asking for extra space to categorical themselves. Since Twitter didn’t need its customers to change to a totally different platform like Snapchat or Instagram, they launched new submit codecs.
Today you’ll be able to publish longer tweets, polls, GIFs, photos and movies, fleets, and threads. Twitter thread is a comparatively new characteristic.
A thread on Twitter is a collection of linked tweets posted by the identical Twitter person. They’re linked collectively by the Reply operate and seem as one steady tweet with the second and different further tweets connected to the unique tweet-like feedback.
How to Find and View Threads on Twitter
If it’s a thread from somebody you comply with, you’ll see it in your timeline as a number of tweets linked by a straight line. If the thread has 4 or extra tweets, the tweets are truncated. To broaden and see your complete thread, you want to choose the Show this thread possibility subsequent to the person tweet.
On your profile, a thread will seem as separate tweets, posted in reverse chronological order. Every tweet that belongs to a thread could have the identical Show this thread possibility displayed subsequent. When you Retweet or Quote Tweet that belongs to a thread, the retweet may even embody the Show this thread message in order that different folks can choose it to see your complete thread.
Users often mark their Twitter threads with the #thread to distinguish them from regular tweets and keep away from their followers leaping on commenting on the primary tweet earlier than the entire thread is full.
To make certain your followers learn the tweets in your thread within the appropriate order, you can too quantity the posts in your thread: e.g., 1/5, 2/5, and so on. If you point out somebody in a thread, they’ll obtain a commonplace notification on Twitter about it.
Twitter Thread vs Tweetstorm
If you’ve got heard of tweetstorms earlier than, studying about Twitter threads is likely to be complicated, as they appear one and the identical. While threads and tweetstorms could be the identical factor, it’s not at all times the case.
When a person posts a variety of tweets shortly, one after the opposite, that’s referred to as a tweetstorm. However, they solely turn out to be a thread if these tweets are additionally replies to each other and are linked in that means. If the tweets aren’t linked along with the Reply operate, they continue to be particular person tweets that may be a a part of a tweetstorm, even when they don’t have any connection to one another.
You may also discover the phrase tweetstorm utilized in relation to one thing totally different. When many various customers tweet about the identical matter (e.g., utilizing the identical hashtags or hyperlinks), some folks name that a tweetstorm too. However, this utilization instance is a lot much less frequent these days.
How to Create Your First Thread on Twitter
There are two totally different ways in which you need to use to create a thread in your Twitter account. You can use each the Twitter web site and the cellular app. Follow the steps in our tutorials to create your first thread on Twitter.
How to Create a Twitter Thread Using the Reply Function
The simplest way to make a thread on Twitter is to publish a tweet and then use the reply operate to add extra tweets to your thread. To make your first thread on Twitter, comply with the steps under. The steps are the identical for Android, iOS, and desktop customers.
- Open the Twitter app or web site, and log into your account.
- Open the Home web page, then begin typing your first tweet beneath What’s occurring (or choose the Compose icon if you happen to’re utilizing the cellular app).
- Select Tweet.
- Once your first tweet is printed, choose Reply beneath it.
- When the brand new tweet’s prepared, choose the Tweet button to publish it.
You’ll now see a Show this thread message seem subsequent to your second tweet. You can proceed publishing new tweets utilizing the Reply operate till you’re down to the final tweet of your thread.
This technique is simple to use however the principle drawback right here is that your followers may not know that that is a thread you’re creating and begin asking questions within the replies that you simply’re going to reply within the following tweets. If you select this technique, make certain to embody #thread in your first tweet, and quantity any following tweets to let your followers know there are extra posts coming.
How to Create a Twitter Thread Using the Threads Tool
Another means to keep away from a scenario the place your followers begin commenting in your posts earlier than the thread’s completed is to create it utilizing Twitter’s built-in threads characteristic. It permits you to create a whole Twitter thread with nevertheless many tweets you want and then publish them unexpectedly.
To make a new thread on Twitter utilizing the threads software, comply with the steps under. The steps are the identical for all Twitter apps and Twitter web site.
- On Twitter, begin typing your first tweet beneath What’s occurring (for desktop customers) or choose the Compose icon to create your first tweet (for cellular customers).
- Select the blue + icon (for desktop customers) or Continue thread (for cellular customers) to add the following tweet to the thread.
- Type in your second tweet. Then choose the + icon once more to add one other tweet.
- When you’re prepared to publish your thread, choose Tweet all.
You’ll now see your thread seem in your Twitter feed.
You can add extra tweets after publishing your thread. To do this, open any particular person tweets in your thread, scroll down and choose Add one other tweet.
You may also delete any of the individual tweets out of your thread. To do this, open the tweet that you really want to take away, choose the three horizontal dots icon on the precise aspect, and choose Delete.
Tips on Creating Engaging Twitter Threads
Threads are nice for driving your engagement charges on Twitter. You can use this software to get rewards from Twitter, like gaining new followers and turning into extra discoverable by different customers. However, to get probably the most out of Twitter threads, listed here are a few issues that you simply want to consider.
- Avoid utilizing solely plain textual content when writing your threads. Instead, use various kinds of media to accompany your posts, like GIFs, photos, movies, and hyperlinks. It’s a smart way to add range into your tweets and hold your viewers engaged, particularly if it’s a lengthy thread.
- While composing your thread, don’t overlook about hashtags. Tweet like a professional, and make certain to use no less than one hashtag in every of the tweets to make your thread extra discoverable by the customers that don’t comply with you but.
- If it’s a quick thread, quantity your posts to create a higher construction and assist your followers learn the tweets in the precise order. However, if it’s a lengthy thread, keep away from numbering your posts, as seeing the ultimate variety of 23+ posts can scare folks away.
- When folks begin commenting in your threads, have interaction with their feedback as quickly as potential and transfer the dialog additional. Your thread might comprise probably the most useful data, but when it doesn’t get engagement from different customers, the Twitter algorithm gained’t present it to anybody outdoors your followers’ circle.
Use Threads to Tell Better Stories on Twitter
Twitter provides loads of instruments to make it easier to seize your viewers’s curiosity. Twitter threads are not any exception. Use threads to inform higher tales, have interaction along with your viewers, and make your Twitter account extra discoverable for different customers.