Is Microsoft Outlook crashing intermittently whenever you open the app in your Windows pc? Does the app sometimes freeze and show a “Microsoft Outlook Not Responding” alert at random intervals?
In this tutorial, you’ll be taught why Microsoft Outlook fails to respond in Windows and eight potential fixes to the issue.
Table of Contents
1. Force Close and Reopen Outlook
Terminating Outlook within the Windows Task Manager may set issues again so as.
- Right-click the Start menu icon or press Windows key + X, and choose Task Manager within the Quick Access menu.
Quick Tip: The Ctrl + Shift + Esc keyboard shortcut is a sooner means to launch the Windows Task Manager.
- Go to the “Processes” tab, choose Microsoft Outlook, and choose End process within the bottom-right nook.
If you don’t discover Outlook within the “Processes” tab, go to the “Details” tab, choose OUTLOOK.EXE, and choose End process.
- Select End course of on the affirmation immediate.
Reopen Microsoft Outlook and test if the app works with out freezing or crashing.
2. Run Outlook in Safe Mode
As talked about earlier, Microsoft Outlook could not reply if some pre-installed or third-party add-ins are affecting its efficiency. Starting Outlook in Safe Mode will disable all add-ins and different customizations whenever you launch the app. That’ll aid you decide if a damaged or conflicting add-in is the explanation why Outlook isn’t responding.
- Press the Windows key + R to open the Run field.
- Type or paste Outlook.exe /protected within the dialog field and choose OK or press Enter.
If Windows fails to launch Outlook in Safe Mode through the Run field, use the keyboard shortcut as a substitute. Press and maintain the Ctrl key and choose the Outlook app icon on the Desktop, Taskbar, or Start menu.
- You’ll get a immediate asking you to verify that you really want to open Outlook in protected mode. Select Yes to proceed.
- Choose Outlook within the “Profile Name” drop-down menu and choose OK.
If Outlook works correctly in protected mode, that tells you an add-in is liable for the “Microsoft Outlook (Not Responding)” error. The subsequent factor to do is to disable all add-ins and restart Outlook.
- Select File on the menu bar.
- Select Options (or More > Options) on the backside of the left sidebar.
- Go to the Add-ins web page, choose COM Add-ins within the “Manage” drop-down menu, and choose Go.
- Uncheck all add-ins within the “Add-ins available” part and choose OK.
Close and reopen Outlook, re-enable the disabled add-ins one after one other to decide the dangerous/damaged add-in liable for crashing Outlook.
- Return to Outlook’s Add-ins web page (see step #7), and test the add-in you need to allow, and choose OK.
Close and reopen Outlook and repeat step #8 for all built-in or third-party add-ins on the listing. If Outlook freezes and shows the “Microsoft Outlook Not Responding” alert after enabling an add-in, that tells you the supply of the issue. Reopen Outlook in protected mode, disable the add-in, and launch Outlook once more.
3. Update Outlook
Outlook could sometimes go unresponsive in your PC if the model put in in your PC is outdated or bug-ridden. Connect your pc to the web and observe these steps:
- Open Outlook and choose File on the menu bar.
- Select Office Account on the sidebar.
- Select the Update Options drop-down button.
- Select Update Now.
That’ll launch the Microsoft Office Click-to-Run Client. The software will replace Outlook if there’s a brand new model of the app. Otherwise, it’ll show a “You’re up to date!” alert you probably have the most recent Outlook model put in in your PC.
Close the replace shopper and check out the subsequent troubleshooting resolution if the “Microsoft Outlook Not Responding” concern persists.
4. Run the Outlook Advanced Diagnostics Tool
Microsoft has an automatic diagnostics software that fixes points with Outlook and different Office or Windows functions. Download the setup file, set up the software in your PC, and observe the steps under. One other thing: make sure that your PC is linked to the web.
- Open the Start menu, kind microsoft assist within the search bar, and open choose Run as administrator within the “Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant” menu.
- Select Outlook and choose Next.
- Select the issues that finest describe the problem with Outlook in your PC—Outlook gained’t begin, Outlook stops responding or freezes, or Outlook retains crashing with a message ‘Microsoft Outlook has stopped working”. Select Next to proceed.
- Choose Yes and choose Next for those who’re operating the diagnostics software on the affected pc.
- Select your Microsoft account or choose Use one other account to sign up with a unique account.
Wait for the software to diagnose Outlook in your pc and observe the suggestions. Try different troubleshooting steps under if Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant don’t repair the issue.
5. Reduce Outlook’s Data File
Your Outlook inbox (and knowledge) grows greater as you ship and obtain extra emails. Outlook will take longer open emails and execute different duties if its data file becomes corrupt or too massive. Outlook could even crash or sometimes fail to reply throughout utilization.
Interestingly, Microsoft lets customers manually compact or cut back the scale of the Outlook knowledge file with out having to delete messages and folders.
- Open Outlook, choose File on the menu bar, choose the Account Settings drop-down choice, and choose Account Settings.
- Go to the Data Files tab, choose a knowledge file you need to cut back/compress, and choose Settings.
- Head to the Advanced tab and choose Outlook Data File Settings.
- Select Compact Now and choose OK when Outlook is finished compressing the info file.
Close and reopen Outlook and monitor the app’s efficiency. Repair the Outlook app if this doesn’t repair the “Microsoft Outlook Not Responding” glitch.
6. Repair Outlook
Repairing Outlook could resolve points inflicting the app to malfunction when sending or studying emails in your inbox. You can restore Outlook from the Windows Settings app or through the Control Panel.
Go to Settings > Apps > Apps & options, choose the menu icon subsequent to Microsoft Outlook, and choose Modify.
To restore Outlook from the Control Panel, open the Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features, choose Microsoft Outlook, and choose Change on the menu bar.
Choose the way you need to restore Outlook and choose Repair.
Quick Repair is a self-repair course of that scans for file corruption and replaces any broken file with recent copies obtainable regionally in your pc. It’s quick and requires no web connection.
Online restore, however, uninstalls Outlook out of your PC and reinstalls a recent copy from Microsoft servers. The operation requires an web connection. Plus, it additionally takes an extended time to attain completion.
We suggest operating a Quick Repair first. If the issue persists, re-open the restore software and choose the Online Repair choice as a substitute.
7. Restart Your Computer
Doing this can refresh Windows, shut applications conflicting with Outlook, and repair different points inflicting Outlook to malfunction. Make positive you shut all apps earlier than restarting your PC, so that you don’t lose any unsaved work.
Press the Windows key or Start menu icon, choose the Power icon, and choose Restart.
8. Update Your Computer
Windows Updates generally ship with updates for Microsoft Outlook and different Office apps. These updates repair points that forestall Outlook from opening or operating accurately in Windows.
If you’ve got a Windows 11 pc, open the Settings app, choose Windows Updates on the sidebar, and set up or resume any obtainable replace.
To set up Windows Updates in Windows 10, go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and choose Check for updates.
Stabilize Outlook in Windows
Some reviews recommend that third-party antivirus software program can intervene with Outlook’s efficiency in Windows. If Outlook nonetheless crashes after attempting these fixes, disable or uninstall your antivirus software. Contact Microsoft Office Support if the issue persists.