The Command Prompt is residence to many highly effective utilities that may show you how to troubleshoot issues and even repair your Windows set up. Along with the traditional culprits like the System File Checker and Diskpart, the Taskkill command is one other great tool for any Windows person.
As the identify suggests, the command can kill duties and processes, releasing up system assets. It is extra helpful than different comparable strategies due to its versatile filtering choices, permitting a intelligent person to arrange automated kill lists to forestall pointless applications from hogging reminiscence.
To get you began, here’s a brief primer on how to use the Taskkill command on Windows 10 or 11.
Table of Contents
Why Do You Need to Use the Taskkill Command?
Using the Taskkill command isn’t the solely method to shut down Windows duties and processes. The most typical method of killing a course of is thru the Task Manager.
The Task Manager permits you to view all operating processes and finish any course of with a number of clicks. This methodology is straightforward to use and doesn’t require you to painstakingly sort in code in a black terminal. Why then must you even hassle with Taskkill?
Versatility. If you solely need to kill a few further processes once in a while, the Task Manager is undoubtedly the finest device for the job. But if you want to finish a lot of processes day by day, you want a technique with a bit extra customization.
With the Taskkill command, it’s doable to shut down complete batches of processes without delay, primarily based on particular filters. You may even arrange sure instructions as shortcuts, permitting you to run them with a double-click from the desktop at any time.
The Basic Syntax of Taskkill
- To use the Taskkill command instantly, we first want to open the Command Prompt. Simply seek for cmd in the Start Menu and choose Run as Administrator.
- To kill a course of with the Taskkill command, you want its identify or its PID. Entering tasklist provides you with a whole checklist of all operating processes, together with their PIDs and reminiscence utilization.
- You can now use the command tasklist /IM “NAME” /F to kill any course of, the place NAME has to get replaced with the precise identify of the job you’re looking to finish. The /F parameter forces the course of to terminate, which will be helpful for a lot of pesky duties that don’t need to shut down.
- To use the PID as an alternative, enter taskkill /IM PID /F, the place PID is the numerical worth of the course of from the earlier checklist. The outcomes are the identical.
Using Taskkill With Filtering Flags
So far, the taskkill command could seem to be a extra convoluted method of doing what the Task Manager might already do. Using tasklist to get the names of all operating processes and focusing on each manually is a quite tedious method of terminating a job.
But that’s not the solely method to use taskkill. There are many filtering choices you need to use to routinely discover explicit forms of processes and kill them with out having to know their names or PIDs.
Here are all the filters obtainable to be used with taskkill:
- STATUS: Basically, the standing of the course of. Can be RUNNING, NOT RESPONDING, or UNKNOWN.
- IMAGENAME: The identical names introduced up by tasklist.
- PID: A numeric ID that may be seen by way of the tasklist command.
- SESSION: The session quantity.
- CPUTIME: The length for which the course of has been utilizing the CPU. It’s given in the customary double-digit hours:minutes:seconds format.
- MEMUSAGE: The reminiscence utilization of the job in KB.
- USERNAME: The identify of the person account from which the job has originated.
- MODULES: Name of the DLL being utilized by the course of.
- SERVICES: For processes related to Windows providers, this provides the identify of the service.
- WINDOWTITLE: As it says, the title of the course of window.
Some of those filtering choices are extra helpful than others. For instance, you need to use the USERNAME possibility to shut down processes from a selected person, which will be helpful in managing networked computer systems.
Most of those filters may also be mixed with logical operators. But as an alternative of utilizing mathematical symbols, they’re denoted by contractions of the precise phrases. For instance, equal to turns into eq, not equal to turns into ne, higher than turns into gt, and so forth.
To display, right here is the command to finish all processes that aren’t responding:
taskkill /FI “STATUS eq NOT RESPONDING” /F.
The /FI flag have to be included for utilizing any filter, adopted by a string containing the filtering expression. All different filtering choices can be utilized equally, terminating processes matching a set situation.
Creating Taskkill Applications With File Shortcuts
Running Taskkill instructions from the Command Prompt isn’t the solely factor you are able to do with the device. You can bind a Taskkill command to a desktop shortcut to use it immediately as properly. This permits you to execute a selected kill checklist with out opening up cmd and coming into a bunch of textual content in it.
- To create a taskkill app, right-click on any empty house in your desktop and choose New > Shortcut.
- Now in the goal for the shortcut, we’ll enter the taskkill command, prefaced by taskkill.exe to enable it to run. Using the identical command we demonstrated in the earlier part, we get taskkill.exe /FI “STATUS eq NOT RESPONDING” /F.
- Just save this shortcut with any identify you need, and also you’re good to go. Double-click on this newly created shortcut at any time to immediately terminate all not responding processes.
Clean-up System Memory With the Taskkill Command
The Taskkill command is a superb method to finish many comparable duties without delay with out manually going over every particular person course of in the Task Manager. It may appear a bit daunting to use at first, however when you get the dangle of it, you’ll discover it comparatively simple to work with.
The host of filtering choices makes Taskkill a potent and versatile device. It permits you to kill processes primarily based on parameters quite than having to decide particular person duties by yourself judgment.
Better but, you possibly can simply save particular Taskkill instructions as desktop shortcuts. They act as mini-apps you need to use and not using a problem to kill a category of ineffective processes without delay.