The File History characteristic on Windows retains copies of your docs and different recordsdata backed up. If you need to use File History, observe this information.
Want to get better a misplaced or older model of a file on Windows? You’ll in all probability want to use File History to do it.
File History gives you a timeline snapshot of recordsdata in vital recordsdata, together with these within the Documents folder and on your Desktop. If you’ve deleted a file, otherwise you need to restore an older file you’ve saved over, you should utilize File History to do it.
File History has since been obtainable since Windows 8, however the characteristic continues to work on Windows 11. If you’re uncertain how to use File History on Windows 11, observe the steps beneath.
Table of Contents
How to Set Up File History on Windows 11
Before you should utilize File History, you’ll want to configure your PC to make sure that it’s enabled and dealing correctly. You’ll want a devoted exterior drive to preserve the file snapshots for File History in a protected place. If you don’t have one linked, you gained’t give you the chance to allow it.
To allow File History on Windows 11:
- Open the Start menu, kind management panel, and select the highest outcome below Best match.
- Change the view on the prime to Large icons and click on on the File History choice from Control Panel.
- If you haven’t linked your exterior drive but, you’ll see a message that no useable drive was discovered. Connect your exterior drive and refresh the web page by clicking the Refresh button or hitting F5.
- Now, click on the Turn on button to allow File History.(*11*)
- Once you have got a linked drive and every part is enabled, File History will mechanically start backing up recordsdata.
How to Use File History on Windows 11
Now that File History is enabled, it begins backing up recordsdata mechanically. However, there are another settings you may want to configure.
Add Folders to File History
As talked about beforehand, File History backs up vital folders like Documents, Pictures, Videos, and Desktop by default. However, you may add any folder to again up utilizing File History. You simply want to add it to a type of major libraries.
To add folders to File History:
- Right-click the folder you need to add to File History for backup and choose Show extra choices to convey up the basic Context menu.
- Select Include in library from the menu and choose the listing you need to put the folders or recordsdata.
Any gadgets you add to the library will start to again up when added.
Exclude Folders from File History
There could also be occasions while you don’t need File History to again up a specific folder. Luckily, you may exclude folders from File History.
To exclude folders from File History:
- Open the Start menu and seek for file historical past.
- Click the File History choice below Best match on the prime.
- When the File History window opens, click on the Excluded folders hyperlink from the record on the left.
- Click the Add button and choose the folders or subfolders you need to exclude from the File History backup.
- After excluding folders, make sure you click on the Save button on the backside of the display.
Change Backup Time Intervals
Another setting value configuring is the frequency at which File History backs recordsdata up mechanically. You can set it to each jiffy to as soon as a day.
To configure File History backup frequency:
- Open the Start menu and seek for file historical past.
- Click the File History choice below Best match.
- In File History, click on Advanced settings from the record on the appropriate.
- You can set the backup frequency on this display and select how lengthy to preserve saved copies of your recordsdata. This display can also be the place you may delete previous File History copies to reclaim drive area.
How to Restore Files Using File History on Windows 11
The most vital a part of the File History options is it permits you to get better recordsdata in the event you by chance delete them. Since it makes a duplicate of recordsdata, while you retrieve it from File History, some current edits to the doc might not be current. However, it nonetheless permits you to get vital recordsdata which is a very powerful factor.
To restore a file utilizing File History:
- Open the Start menu, seek for file historical past, and choose the highest outcome.
- When File History opens, click on the Restore private recordsdata hyperlink from the record on the left.
- A File History window with all of your backup recordsdata will likely be obtainable. The controls on the backside allow you to scroll via your recordsdata and folders.
- To restore file(s) or folder(s), choose what you want and click on the Restore button on the backside.
That’s all there may be to it. Once you restore a file or folder, it’s moved to the unique location on your PC, and you may entry it like regular.
Restoring Files on Windows 11
While you may sync recordsdata with OneDrive, utilizing File History is a further backup methodology to your recordsdata. It offers you further peace of thoughts realizing there are a number of methods to get better important gadgets if by chance deleted.
Of course, there are different methods to again up your information on Windows 11. For occasion, you may create a full picture backup of your PC or create a Restore Point to return your PC to a working state.
In addition to the choices above, it’s a finest follow to guarantee you have got a third-party on-line backup resolution with a service like Backblaze. If you’re not on Windows 11, no worries. You can even configure File History on Windows 10.