Despite Dropbox’s unbelievable reputation, you might have many causes to do away with it out of your pc. Perhaps you discover the essential plan too restrictive and need to switch to an alternative cloud storage service. Or, perhaps you simply need to delete the Dropbox set up for troubleshooting functions.
Regardless, you may shortly take away Dropbox everytime you need. The following directions will present what you should do to uninstall Dropbox on Mac, Windows, and Linux.
Table of Contents
How to Uninstall Dropbox on Mac
If you employ Dropbox on a Mac, you may take away it similar to another utility by shifting it to the Trash. But first, you should cease Dropbox’s sync service from working within the background.
1. Select the Dropbox standing icon on the Mac’s menu bar.
2. Select your profile portrait and decide the choice labeled Quit.
3. Once Dropbox’s standing icon disappears, open a Finder window and choose Applications on the sidebar.
5. Control-click Dropbox and choose Move to Trash. If your Mac prompts you to, enter the administrator password and press Enter.
Uninstalling Dropbox is not going to take away the Dropbox sync folder on your Mac. However, if you happen to don’t plan on reinstalling Dropbox later, you may select to delete it.
To try this, go to Macintosh HD > Users > [Your User Name] (or control-click Dropbox on the Finder sidebar and choose Show in Enclosing Folder). Once inside, create a backup of the Dropbox folder (if wanted). Then, control-click and select Move to Trash.
If the Dropbox sync folder is of a considerable measurement, contemplate deleting the Mac’s Trash to release the space for storing.
How to Uninstall Dropbox on Windows
Whether Dropbox got here pre-installed on your PC otherwise you put in it your self, you may uninstall it shortly by visiting the Apps and Features pane on your PC. However, you should cease the cloud storage service from working within the background earlier than you try this.
Note: If you employ Dropbox for S Mode, skip steps 1 and 2.
1. Right-click the Dropbox icon on the system tray.
2. Select your profile portrait and decide the Quit choice.
3. Press Windows + X (or right-click the Start button) and choose Apps and Features.
4. Select Dropbox and decide the choice labeled Uninstall. If you employ Windows 11, choose the More icon (three dots) subsequent to Dropbox to reveal the Uninstall button.
5. Select Uninstall once more to affirm. Then, observe the Dropbox uninstaller’s directions to take away this system out of your pc.
Despite eradicating Dropbox, its sync folder will proceed to stay on your pc. If you need to delete it as properly, open your PC’s system drive (Local Disk: C) and choose Users > [Your User Name]. Then, right-click the Dropbox folder and choose Delete or the Trash icon.
You may need to proceed by emptying your PC’s Recycle Bin to reclaim the area financial savings occupied by the Dropbox folder.
How to Uninstall Dropbox on Linux
Most Linux distributions function a graphical software program administration device that you need to use to uninstall Dropbox. Or, you may run a collection of instructions in Terminal to do away with the cloud storage service. We’ll use Linux Mint in each examples under.
Remove Dropbox Using the Linux GUI
1. Select the Dropbox icon on the system tray and select Quit Dropbox.
2. Locate and open Software Manager.
3. Select the More icon (three stacked strains) to the top-left of the Software Manager window and choose Show put in functions.
4. Select Dropbox.
5. Select Remove.
6. Enter your administrator password (if requested) to take away Dropbox out of your system.
To take away the Dropbox sync folder, open the Files app and choose Home on the sidebar. Then, right-click the Dropbox folder and choose Move to Trash.
Remove Dropbox Using the Linux Terminal
1. Search for and open Terminal in Linux.
2. Run the next instructions to cease the Dropbox app from working within the background:
- dropbox cease
- dropbox standing # Should report “not running”
3. Run the next collection of instructions to take away Dropbox out of your pc:
- rm -rf ~/.dropbox-dist
- rm -rf /var/lib/dropbox
- rm -rf ~/.dropbox*
- sudo apt-get take away nautilus-dropbox
- sudo apt-get take away dropbox
- rm /and so forth/apt/supply.d/dropbox
If you need, observe up with the command under to delete the Dropbox folder:
Uninstalled Dropbox Successfully: What Next?
If you don’t plan on re-installing Dropbox on your pc, you’ve bought a number of options to backup and sync information between gadgets. On the Mac, you’ve bought iCloud Drive baked into the working system. Likewise, you’ve bought OneDrive on Windows. Both companies provide 5GB to begin with, which is considerably greater than the 2GB you get with Dropbox.
Or, you need to use a multi-platform resolution within the type of Google Drive, which nets you 15GB of free cloud storage. Just word that Google Drive doesn’t provide a non-browser-based consumer for Linux.