Special characters are generally used, however laborious to discover. If you need to kind a particular character in Windows 11, use this information to get began.
Your customary QWERTY keyboard consists of loads of keys for punctuation, however solely a restricted variety of particular characters.
What occurs whenever you need to kind one thing extra specialised, like a personality for a math equation, or a personality from a distinct language? You’ll have bother discovering these particular characters on a typical keyboard.
Luckily, you’ll find these characters on Windows 11 if you already know the place to look. Here’s how to kind particular characters on Windows 11.
Table of Contents
Enable the Touch Keyboard in Tablet Mode
Provided you may have a touchscreen laptop computer, you should utilize the contact keyboard to kind a number of particular characters on Windows 11. It’s in all probability the best method to add particular characters.
To allow the touchscreen for particular characters on Windows 11:
- Open the Start menu and choose Settings.
- When Settings opens, navigate to Time & language > Typing > Touch keyboard.
- In the Typing menu, verify the Show the contact keyboard when there’s no keyboard choice.
Enable Touch Keyboard with out Tablet Mode
Another method to entry the contact keyboard is by making it present on the taskbar full-time.
To make the contact keyboard accessible, you’ll want to inform Windows 11 to present it. Use the next steps:
- In the Start menu, choose Settings.
- From Settings, navigate to Personalization and broaden the System tray icons part.
- Set the Touch keyboard to Always from the dropdown menu.
- You can entry the contact keyboard choice from the lower-right nook of the taskbar to carry it up.(*11*)
How to Type Special Characters on Windows 11
When you want to enter a particular character in your doc, you’ll have the option to use the contact keyboard to achieve this.
Use the next steps to do that:
- Place the blinking cursor the place you need to insert your particular character in your doc.
- Click or faucet the Touch keyboard icon from the keyboard to make the on-screen keyboard seem.
- Click and maintain a key, or should you’re on contact, press and maintain a key on the contact keyboard. It will show further symbols that you should utilize as a substitute.
- Select the particular key you need to use from the contact keyboard, and it’ll seem in your doc.
- You may add emoji or GIF icons. Click on the emoji button (the center icon on the upper-left nook of the keyboard). That choice works nicely if you would like to have enjoyable with the doc you’re creating.
How to Insert Emojis on Windows 11
If you don’t need to use the contact keyboard to kind particular characters, you should utilize emojis instantly out of your doc.
To insert emojis on Windows 11, use the keyboard shortcut Windows key + interval key to carry up the emoji keyboard. When you choose one of many emojis, it’ll add it to your doc.
While this pop-up menu is beneficial for emojis, you should utilize it to discover GIFs or insert a smaller collection of particular characters, resembling foreign money symbols.
How to Use the Character Map on Windows 11
You may use the older Character Map device to copy particular characters to your keyboard.
To use the Character Map device on Windows 11, do the next:
- Open the Start menu and kind character map.
- Select Character Map as the highest consequence.
- When the Character Map window pops up, you’ll discover a number of totally different characters you should utilize with numerous fonts. Just change the font from the dropdown menu.
- Click the particular characters you need to use and click on the Select button.
- Click the Copy button and paste the particular characters into the doc when prepared.
Using the US International Keyboard
Another choice you may have is the US International keyboard. It’s appropriate for an English speaker who makes use of particular characters, resembling diacritical marks or accents.
To entry the US International keyboard, use the next steps:
- Open the Start menu and press Settings.
- Go to Time & Language > Language & area.
- Click the three-dot button to the precise of English (United States) and choose Language choices.
- Scroll down and click on the Add a keyboard button subsequent to the Installed keyboards choice.
- Choose the United States – International keyboard.
- When you need to use the US – International keyboard, hit the Windows key + Spacebar to carry it up and choose it.
- You can get totally different combos to get particular characters, (eg. ALT+E to show é).
For further assist, learn the Washington State University guide to special characters you should utilize with the United States International keyboard.
Using Special Characters on Windows 11
The steps above ought to aid you to kind and use particular characters on Windows 11, whether or not it’s a diacritical mark or an emoji.
There are different methods you’ll be able to customise your setup to make it simpler to write sure kinds of paperwork. For instance, should you’re an educational, you might have considered trying to understand how to use the MLA format in Microsoft Word or arrange MLA format in Google Docs. If you’re utilizing tutorial paperwork for psychology, training, or different social sciences, study to format Word docs in APA Style as a substitute.