Transferring a Microsoft Office license or subscription from one laptop to one other is simple. However, be aware that not all Office licenses are transferable. This tutorial is a step-by-step information on transferring Microsoft Office licenses on Windows and Mac computer systems.
But first, skim via the next part to be taught concerning the forms of Microsoft Office licenses. Subsequent sections cowl steps to test Office license varieties and switch licenses to a new system.
Table of Contents
There are several types of Microsoft Office licenses. Each license has various apps, providers, and options. Let’s have a have a look at some well-liked Microsoft Office licenses:
- Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) License: OEM Office licenses are pre-installed on new Windows gadgets from the manufacturing unit by the producer. The product key hooked up to this license can’t be transferred or used to activate Microsoft Office apps on one other laptop.
- Full Product Pack or Full Packaged Product (FPP) License: Also referred to as a “Retail License,” this license ships with Office apps that you just manually set up in your laptop. If you buy Office on-line or in-store, you need to use its license on any laptop.
However, you possibly can solely apply it to one PC at a time. To switch a retail license to one other laptop, you need to first deactivate the product on the present system. Home Use Programs (HUP), Electronic Software Download (ESD), Point of Sale Activation (POSA), and Product Key Card (PKC) are completely different variations of retail licenses bought on-line and in shops.
- Volume Licenses: When a firm or enterprise buys Microsoft Office for 5 or extra computer systems, they get a quantity license. The software program will be put in and activated on a number of computer systems utilizing one license key. Volume licenses are transferable, however the course of isn’t precisely easy. You’ll want to contact Microsoft’s Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC) to begin the method.
- Not For Resale (NFR): These are Office merchandise given away as presents, usually for promotional functions. Licenses for NFR merchandise aren’t transferable.
Only “Retail” or “Full Product Pack (FFP)” licenses will be transferred to a completely different system. The steps for checking your Office license usually depend upon the Office model and your laptop’s working system.
If you employ these variations of Office merchandise (Word, Excel, and many others.), observe the steps beneath to test their license varieties:
- Open the Windows Start Menu, sort cmd or command immediate within the search bar, and choose Run as administrator.
- If you employ a 32-bit PC, sort or paste cd c:Program Files (x86)Microsoft OfficeOffice16 into the terminal and press Enter:
On a 64-bit laptop, sort or paste cd c:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice16 within the terminal and press Enter.
Not positive about your PC’s processor structure? Refer to our tutorial on checking whether or not your PC makes use of a 32-bit or 64-bit processor.
- Next, sort or paste cscript ospp.vbs /dstatus within the terminal and press Enter.
- Wait for the command to run and test the “LICENSE DESCRIPTION” row to your Office license sort.
Open Command Prompt with administrative privileges and observe the steps beneath.
- On 32-bit computer systems, sort or paste cd c:Program Files (x86)Microsoft OfficeOffice15 within the terminal and press Enter.
If Office 2013 is put in on a 64-bit PC, sort or paste cd c:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice15 and press Enter.
- Type or paste cscript ospp.vbs /dstatus and press Enter.
If you’ve got a “RETAIL” or “FFP” license, proceed to the subsequent part to learn the way to switch your copy of Office to one other laptop.
You may decide the license sort of Office 2013 merchandise via its ISO or DVD set up file.
Insert the DVD into your PC, open File Explorer, and navigate to the DVD or ISO file. If there’s an “Admin” folder within the set up file, the product has a quantity license (VL). Retail editions of Microsoft Office merchandise don’t have an “Admin” folder.
Open the Office product in your Mac laptop or desktop and observe the steps beneath to test its license element.
- Select the product identify on the menu bar and choose About [Product Name]. For instance, when you’re utilizing Microsoft Word, choose Word on the menu bar, and choose About Microsoft Word.
- Check the “License” row to view the product’s license sort.
Again, you possibly can solely use a retail license on one system concurrently. Uninstalling Office frees up the product to be used on one other laptop.
If your outdated laptop is lifeless or damaged, you don’t have to uninstall Office from the system. Instead, set up Office on the brand new PC and activate the product utilizing the identical product key.
Make positive you’ve got the 25-character product key useful. Check the disc’s bodily packaging or the receipt despatched to your e mail for the product’s license key.
Uninstalling an Office product deactivates or unlinks the license out of your system. We cowl three alternative ways to uninstall Office merchandise on Windows gadgets beneath.
Removing Office from the Windows Control Panel is right when you put in the product utilizing a DVD, ISO file, or Microsoft Installer (MSI).
- Open your PC’s Control Panel and set the “View by” choice to Category. Select Uninstall a program within the “Programs” class to proceed.
- Select the Office product you need to take away and choose Uninstall.
- Select Uninstall on the affirmation immediate and look forward to Windows to take away the product out of your PC.
If you put in the Office app from the Microsoft Store, observe the steps beneath to take away the software program.
- Go to Settings > Apps > Apps & options, choose the three-dot icon subsequent to the Office app, and choose Uninstall.
- Select Uninstall once more on the pop-up.
Microsoft has an official device that wholly and mechanically removes Office on Windows computer systems. Download and set up the device from Microsoft’s website and look forward to it to obtain the mandatory setup information.
The device mechanically detects all Office merchandise put in in your laptop. Select the product you need to take away and choose Next to proceed.
Confirm that you just’ve saved your work and closed all energetic Office purposes. Select Next to begin the uninstallation.
Go to Finder > Applications, right-click the Office utility, and choose Move to Trash.
An Office 365 subscription permits you to set up and use Office merchandise on 5 gadgets concurrently. If you’ve hit the variety of concurrent installations, you need to unlink one system to use the license on a new laptop.
Follow the steps beneath to take away a system out of your Microsoft Office 365 subscription remotely.
- Sign in to your Microsoft Office account on any internet browser. Expand the Subscriptions drop-down menu and choose Manage beneath your Microsoft 365 subscription.
- Expand the Office apps for PC or Mac drop-down menu.
- In the “Signed in devices” part, choose Sign out subsequent to the system whose Office license you need to deactivate.
- Select Sign out on the affirmation immediate.
Uninstalling Office in your outdated system is simply half of the license switch course of. The concluding half is to set up Microsoft Office on the brand new laptop. Enter the identical license key used on the outdated machine when establishing the software program (on the brand new system). Make positive your PC has an web connection throughout the activation.
It can take Microsoft up to 72 hours for Microsoft to remotely unlink the license out of your outdated system. If the license doesn’t work on the brand new PC after 72 hours, contact Microsoft Support or refer to our tutorial on fixing Office license issues.