One of the belongings you’ll do steadily throughout video modifying is splitting and slicing clips. It removes elements of movies chances are you’ll not need or helps get the tempo of your video good. If you’re simply beginning out with video modifying on Adobe Premiere, you could be overwhelmed with all of the instruments out there and are questioning how one can simply cut up your clips.
There are a number of methods you’ll be able to cut up a clip in Premiere Pro.
Table of Contents
Method 1: Using the Razor Tool
The easiest method to lower or cut up clips in Premiere is through the use of the Razor device. This permits you to cut up clips at any level in the clip you need, proper from the venture timeline. The solely draw back to this methodology is that it may be much less exact, nevertheless, it’s a great way to do a first tough lower of your clips.
- Make certain the clip you need to be cut up is positioned in your timeline.
- Look to the left-hand facet of the timeline, and also you’ll see some device icons. Move your mouse over them till you discover the Razor device, with an icon that appears like a razor, and choose it.
- When you hover over your clip in the timeline, your mouse pointer ought to appear to be the Razor icon. Find the place you need to cut up the clip.
- Click the place you need to make a cut up, and also you’ll see the 2 parts will now be disconnected.
- Each cut up portion will now act like their very own separate clips.
You can now delete the a part of the clip you don’t need, or add results and transitions to both clip portion with out it affecting the opposite half. Splitting a clip in the timeline additionally received’t have an effect on the unique clip from the Project panel, so if you would like the complete clip once more you’ll be able to merely discover it there and place it in the timeline once more.
Method 2: Using the Source Panel
Another means to cut up a clip in Adobe Premiere might be executed earlier than you set it in the timeline. This methodology is a bit extra exact as you’ll be able to change the precise in and out factors of the portion of the clip you need. With this methodology, as an alternative of going to the timeline, you’ll be utilizing the Source panel. This is the panel normally in the top-left facet, and when you choose a clip in the Media library, a preview of it can present up right here.
So, select the clip from the Project panel you need to cut up so it comes up in the Source panel. Then observe these steps.
- At the start of the clip’s time bar in the Source panel, you’ll see an arrow-shaped marker. You can use this to scrub by means of the clip and set In and Out markers. Wherever the In marker is positioned is the place the clip will begin when positioned in the timeline, and vice versa for the Out marker.
- Hit the I or O keys wherever you need the In and Out markers to be positioned. I is for In, O for out. There are additionally icons in the toolbar in the Source panel you’ll be able to click on to set these, which appear to be brackets.
- Once you have got your markers set, in the Source panel instruments, choose Insert. This will put the clip into your timeline wherever the timeline marker is positioned at. You can insert a video with or with out audio.
This is a good methodology to use to be exact, as you’ll be able to watch the clip frame-by-frame and place the In and Out marker at these particular factors. It additionally received’t have an effect on the unique clip from the Project panel in any respect, similar to the opposite methodology. And, you received’t have to cope with the remnants of cut-up clips cluttering your timeline.
How to Delete Part of a Clip
If you used the Razor methodology, you’ll probably need to clear up these items of the clip you don’t need in your venture. To do that, you’ll simply need to delete the a part of the clip. Don’t fear although, when you later notice you need a part of the clip again, you’ll be able to simply go into your Media library and discover the unique clip once more to put in the timeline.
Here are a couple of straightforward methods to delete elements of a clip:
- Right-click on the a part of the clip you don’t need. From right here, choose the Cut possibility. The clip portion will likely be faraway from the timeline.
- Alternatively, you’ll be able to simply choose the clip portion you don’t need in the timeline and hit Backspace in your laptop. You may click on and drag in the timeline to choose a number of clips and delete them this fashion too.
Splitting a Clip in Adobe Premiere Pro
Using these strategies, getting the right lower of a clip may be very straightforward to obtain. Over time these strategies will change into second nature, as they’re among the most frequently used instruments throughout a video project.