When Microsoft launched Windows 7 a few years in the past, it eliminated the power to run a .msi file as an administrator once you right-click on it.
From the outset, what could seem to be a small insignificant drawback, seems to be fairly a nuisance if you’re a help technician and you’ve got a laptop captured with some utility such as VNC or Teamviewer and also you want to run a .msi file as a distant administrator. How to do it with out shedding the connection or with out logging in with a consumer with administrator permissions?
Well, to have the opportunity to run a .MSI file as an administrator in a consumer session with commonplace permissions, there are two alternate options:
- Run the .msi as an administrator utilizing instructions from a command immediate window.
- Modify the registry in order that the choice to run as administrator seems when right-clicking on a .msi file.
In the previous, Microsoft additionally launched a plugin for Windows that enabled the “run as administrator” possibility when right-clicking on the MSI file. However, this device is not accessible, so you don’t have any selection however to use a easy MS-DOS command. Let’s see the way it works.
Method #1: Run MSI from Command Console
Go to C:WindowsSystem32 and find the cmd.exe file. Right-click (press “shift” whereas clicking if you would like to run with one other consumer) on the file and select “Run as administrator.“
Once the terminal console is open, sort the next command:
msiexec -i C:filepathfilename.msi
msiexec -i C:usersandroidDesktoptest.msi
Note: Remember that if the file is in the identical path within the terminal window, you don’t want to sort the complete path of the file. That is, in such a case, merely write the identify of the file (“test.msi” or no matter) and press enter to run it.
Note that if there are clean areas inside the trail, you will have to put the trail in quotes » » for the system to acknowledge it. In the instance, above we’ve additionally assumed that the file is on the (C:) drive, but when the file is situated on one other drive you could specify that drive (both (D:), (E:), or wherever you will have saved the .msi file).
Windows 10 and Windows 11
If you’re working from a Windows 10 or Windows 11 PC, you can even open a terminal window with administrator permissions by doing the next:
- Right-click on the Windows Start button and choose “ Windows Powershell (Admin) ”.
In Windows 7, you can even open a terminal window with administrator permissions by clicking on the Windows search field and typing “cmd”. In the outcomes choose “Run as administrator”.
Method #2: How to Modify the Registry to Run .msi Files as Administrator
This different methodology is far more delicate because it requires you to modify the Windows registry, which may lead to a critical system drawback if any error or human error happens. The constructive half is that you’ll make a world change that can allow the “Run as administrator” possibility once you right-click on any .MSI file in your PC.
- Press the important thing mixture WIN+R and execute the command « regedit «.
- In Registry Editor, navigate within the left menu to the trail: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTMsi.Packageshell.
- Right-click on the “shell” folder and create a new key known as ” runas “.
- Now proper click on on the brand new “runas” folder you simply created and generate a new key known as ” command “.
- Enter the “command” folder and double click on on the Default parameter to change the worth info to “ C:WindowsSystem32msiexec.exe /a ”%1” %* ” (with out quotes).
After doing this, restart the PC. From this level on, Windows ought to begin exhibiting the choice to run MSI recordsdata as administrator.