If your net browser encounters a extreme difficulty you can’t troubleshoot, you may reset it to manufacturing unit default. Thankfully, most main browsers have a devoted reset button that makes the method fast and simple.
Read on to study what you will need to do to reset fashionable desktop browsers resembling Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Apple Safari to default settings.
Table of Contents
Reset Google Chrome to Factory Defaults
If Google Chrome crashes, freezes, or won’t respond, or in case you suspect a browser hijacker is at play (e.g., the search engine robotically adjustments otherwise you see fixed pop-up alerts), think about resetting the browser to manufacturing unit defaults. A Chrome reset:
- Reverts adjustments to the startup web page, dwelling web page, new tab web page, and search engine.
- Deletes all pinned tabs.
- Disables all energetic extensions and add-ons.
- Removes short-term website information (cookies and caches).
- Reverts all website settings and permissions.
Resetting the Google Chrome browser won’t take away your bookmarks, shopping historical past, and saved passwords. Nevertheless, we advocate you add any private information to a Google Account, so have a backup if the process doesn’t go in accordance to plan.
1. Open the Chrome menu (choose three dots on the top-right of the browser window) and select Settings.
2. Select Advanced > Reset and cleanup (PC) or Reset settings (Mac) on the sidebar of Chrome’s Settings web page.
3. Select Restore settings to their unique defaults > Reset settings to reset Chrome settings to manufacturing unit defaults.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Factory Defaults
Like with Chrome, a Mozilla Firefox reset will take away all customizations and the browser cache whereas maintaining private information resembling passwords and bookmarks intact. Again, it’s finest to sync personal data to your Firefox Account so that you just don’t depart something to probability.
1. Open the Firefox menu (choose three stacked traces on the proper nook of the handle bar) and choose Help.
2. Select More troubleshooting info.
3. Select Refresh Firefox.
Reset Microsoft Edge to Factory Defaults
Microsoft Edge, the default Chromium-based browser for Windows 10 and 11, may be reset to manufacturing unit defaults with a short dive into its Settings web page. You get to preserve your bookmarks and passwords, however it’s all the time a good suggestion to sync the information to a Microsoft Account in case one thing goes flawed. The similar applies to the downloadable version of Microsoft Edge for macOS.
1. Open the Edge menu (choose the three dots on the window’s top-right) and choose Settings.
2. Select Reset Settings on the sidebar of Edge’s Settings menu.
3. Select Reset settings to their default values.
Reset Apple Safari to Factory Defaults
Safari, the default net browser for the Mac, doesn’t include a built-in choice that you need to use to reset the browser to manufacturing unit defaults. Instead, you will need to clear your Safari browsing data, disable energetic extensions, and revert any customizations all by your self.
Clear Cache and Cookies
1. Select Safari > Clear History on the menu bar.
2. Open the drop-down menu subsequent to Clear and choose All History. Then, choose Clear History.
Disable All Extensions
1. Select Safari > Preferences on the menu bar.
2. Switch to the Extensions tab and clear the packing containers subsequent to all energetic extensions.
Revert All Preferences to Defaults
1. Quit the Safari app.
2. Open Finder and choose Go > Go to Folder on the menu bar.
3. Visit the next folder:
4. Drag the next file into the Trash:
5. Next, go to the next folders and drag all recordsdata and subfolders inside to the Trash:
- ~/Library/Saved Application State/com.apple.Safari.savedState/
Reset Tor Browser to Factory Defaults
Restoring the extraordinarily privacy-oriented Tor Browser to manufacturing unit defaults entails working by means of steps comparable to Firefox (as proven above). That’s as a result of each browsers run on the identical codebase.
1. Select the Tor menu button and select the choice labeled Help.
2. Select More troubleshooting info.
3. Select Refresh Tor Browser.
Reset Opera Browser to Factory Defaults
If you utilize Opera, you may reset it similar to some other Chromium-based browser for the PC or Mac.
1. Open the Opera menu and choose Settings (PC) or Preferences (Mac).
2. Select Advanced on the sidebar.
3. Scroll down to the underside of the web page. Then, choose Reset settings to their unique defaults.
Reset Browser Settings in Brave to Factory Defaults
Brave Browser is a light-weight Chromium various you can rapidly reset to manufacturing unit defaults utilizing the next steps.
1. Open the Brave menu (choose three stacked traces on the highest proper of the window) and select Settings.
2. Select Additional settings > Reset settings on the sidebar.
3. Select Reset settings to their unique defaults.
A Fresh Start
After restoring your browser to manufacturing unit defaults, you’ll have to begin over again by signing into web sites, reactivating extensions, and re-configuring website preferences and different settings. That ought to present clues about any underlying causes behind earlier points.
For instance, a rogue extension may be what’s inflicting your default search engine web page to change. If enabling it once more ends in the identical drawback, you will need to uninstall it out of your net browser. Or use an anti-malware utility to eliminate it forcibly.