Most software program packages have each Windows and macOS variations. But what occurs when you’ve a MacEbook and a sure program or app solely runs in Windows? The excellent news is that you just don’t must have a Windows pc to run Windows-based software program.
Executable recordsdata are designed for Windows and can’t run natively in macOS. But with the precise instruments, Mac desktops or notebooks can open packages wrapped in EXE recordsdata. In this tutorial, we’ll present you find out how to open EXE recordsdata on Mac with out having to put in Windows on your system.
Table of Contents
Open EXE Files in macOS With CrossOver
CrossOver is likely one of the greatest PC emulation software program for working Windows-based packages on Mac. We encountered no stumbling block putting in this instrument on our take a look at system—a MacEbook Pro 2019 working macOS Big Sur. Likewise, the Windows app we put in ran easily with none points.
Although CrossOver is a paid app (subscription begins at $39.95/month), there’s a 10-day free trial interval for brand new customers. So, it’s the most suitable choice in case you solely must run Windows apps on your Mac for a quick interval.
- Head to the CrossOver download page on the developer’s web site. Select macOS because the “OS” possibility, kind your title and e mail deal with within the offered dialog packing containers, and choose Download Trial Now.
You can both set up Windows packages from CrossOver’s in-app library or run EXE recordsdata downloaded from third-party sources by CrossOver.
- Right-click the EXE file, choose Open With, choose CrossOver, and comply with the set up prompts.
- To set up a Windows-based app from CrossOver’s library, launch CrossOver and choose Install a Windows Application.
- Type the title of the Windows app you need to set up within the search field and choose the most recent model of the app from the listing.
Better but, choose the Browse All Applications button within the bottom-left nook to view a listing of apps out there in CrossOver’s library. Select the app on the left sidebar and choose Continue to maneuver to the subsequent step.
- Select Continue to proceed.
- Select Install.
- Wait for CrossOver to obtain the setup file and set up the app. CrossOver will then create a “Bottle” surroundings the place the app will function on your Mac. Follow the app’s set up immediate to proceed.
- Depending on the app you’re putting in, CrossOver will request entry to your Mac’s community quantity and different system parts. Grant CrossOver the mandatory permissions and proceed to the subsequent step to open the Windows app.
- Select Done if you get a success message that the app set up is full. That’ll shut the CrossOver installer.
- To launch the app, go to the Bottles part within the sidebar, choose the app title, and double-click the app icon.
- Again, you’ll be prompted to grant the app entry to your recordsdata. Select OK to proceed.
That’ll launch the app instantly, and also you’ll see its icon in your Mac’s Dock. Note that CrossOver is the host surroundings, so closing or force-quitting the emulator (i.e., CrossOver) may also shut the Windows software you’re working.
Open EXE Files on Mac Using Wine
Wine (or WineBottler) is one other in style third-party PC for Mac. It’s open-source (free), easy-to-use, and works greatest on Macs working macOS Mojave and High Sierra. We efficiently put in Wine on our take a look at system, however we couldn’t open any EXE file because of a “Prefix creation aborted” error.
It seems that Wine isn’t fully compatible with macOS Catalina and newer macOS variations. It’s the most suitable choice if in case you have an previous Mac pocket book or desktop working macOS Mojave or High Sierra. You don’t should pay a dime. Plus, it’s extremely straightforward to make use of.
- Head to the Downloads section on WineBottler’s website and obtain the app’s setup file.
- Download the “Development” model of the software program in case your Mac’s working macOS High Sierra or newer. Otherwise, obtain the “Stable” WineBottler model as an alternative.
Feature-wise, WineBottler Development is superior to WineBottler Stable. It’s additionally often extra secure, particularly as a result of it’s up to date extra usually than the Stable version.
- Open the setup package deal and drag each the Wine and WineBottler icon to the “Applications” folder.
- Wait for the installer to repeat this system recordsdata to the Applications folder and shut the set up window when it’s achieved.
WineBottler has an “Automated Installer” that handles the heavy-lifting behind opening Windows-based packages on your Mac. The installer downloads the app from the web, units it up on your Mac and does different vital configurations. On the WineBottler dashboard, you’ll discover Windows-based packages spanning classes like internet browsers, enterprise instruments, media gamers, video games, improvement instruments, utilities, and so on.
- Head to the “Download” part and choose Install to obtain an app to your Mac.
Select the app’s title to open the app’s description web page. That’ll redirect you to the developer’s web site in your Mac’s default browser.
It’s additionally potential to open the EXE setup file for a Windows-based app exterior WineBottler’s listing.
- Head to the file location on your Mac, control-click or right-click the EXE file, and choose Wine.
macOS could fail to run the Wine emulator as a result of it’s from an unidentified developer.
- Select Cancel and proceed to step 8 if the error within the picture beneath pops up on your Mac’s display.
- Go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General and choose the Open Anyway button subsequent to the notification that claims Wine was blocked.
- Select Open to proceed.
Follow the set up directions and also you’ll have the ability to run the Windows app on your Mac through the WineBottler surroundings. If Wine shows the “Prefix creation aborted” error or different error messages, use CrossOver as an alternative.
If you’re eager on utilizing WineBottler, the one workaround is to downgrade your Mac to Mojave or High Sierra.
Bringing Windows to Mac
“Boot Camp” is a built-in utility that lets Mac customers run Windows alongside macOS on Macs with Intel processors. You may open EXE recordsdata on Mac utilizing digital machines like VirtualField and Parallels Desktop. Virtual machines require a full Windows set up, in order that they’re ultimate for Mac customers who run Windows apps nearly each day. Otherwise, CrossOver and Wine are your greatest choices for working Windows apps on Mac for a transient interval.