Running out of Mac storage? Why not think about using a community drive to retailer your essential information? This information will present you ways to join to one on a Mac.
Running out of storage on your Mac? You may discover it simpler to swap to utilizing a community hooked up storage (NAS) drive to your essential information.
A community drive permits you to maintain giant or essential information off your Mac’s exhausting drive. This frees up house for different issues, however you’ll want to know the way to join to it over your community.
Mac helps the frequent networking protocols used for NAS drives, making it straightforward to join to them. If you’re uncertain how to map a community drive on a Mac, comply with our steps under.
Table of Contents
How to Map a Network Drive on a Mac Using Finder
The quickest manner to map a community drive is to use the Finder app. This technique will create a momentary connection to your community drive. It gained’t stay in place after you restart your Mac, nonetheless.
macOS helps Samba (SMB) community shares. This is a frequent file-sharing protocol used on Windows, Mac, and (to a lesser extent) Linux. Due to its cross-platform help, it’s fairly doubtless that your community drive makes use of Samba for community file sharing, and this information will assume as such.
To map a community drive on a Mac utilizing Finder:
- Open the Finder app out of your Dock or Launchpad.
- In Finder, press Go > Connect to Server from the menu bar.
- Type smb:// adopted by your NAS drive IP tackle/hostname and folder (eg. smb://192.168.0.2/ or smb://192.168.0.2/information or smb://nas-drive.native/information)
- Press Connect.
- If prompted, sort within the appropriate username and password to join to your community drive and press OK.
If you authenticate appropriately, you need to be in a position to view your community drive within the left menu in Finder.
How to Automatically Connect to a Network Drive on a Mac
The steps above enable you to join to a community share, however the share is barely momentary. Your Mac gained’t reconnect routinely to the community share if you restart, for instance.
You’ll want to configure your Mac to routinely join to your community drive if you log in. This will make sure you all the time have entry to your community information in Finder (so long as you’re linked to the identical community).
Before finishing these steps, comply with the steps above to map your community drive and join to it by way of Finder.
To routinely join to a community drive on a Mac:
- Press the Apple brand > System Preferences from the menu bar.
- In System Preferences, choose Users & Groups.
- Press the lock icon within the bottom-left and register, if required.
- Select your username on the suitable, then press Login Items.
- Press the add (+) icon.
- Select your community drive (or a folder inside it) and press Add.
- Follow any further on-screen directions to full the method.
Better Storage Solutions on a Mac
By following the steps above, you possibly can shortly map a community drive on a Mac. This will release your disk house for different issues.
If you’re all the time working out of house, you may want to take into consideration configuring your Mac to release storage routinely. You also can securely wipe the free house on your Mac should you’re frightened about your privateness.
You also can securely delete essential Mac information to keep your knowledge privateness.