Are you a budding novelist? If so, you don’t want to splash out on Office. Learn how to make a e-book in Google Docs proper right here.
Google Docs is a free and surprisingly highly effective on-line phrase processor. It comes with a vary of ready-made templates for frequent doc varieties, together with resumes, letters, venture proposals, and sophistication notes.
If you’re wanting to write a e-book in Google Docs, nonetheless, then there aren’t any appropriate templates to use. Thankfully, it’s pretty easy to arrange your personal template in case you’re wanting to write a novel.
If you need to know the way to make a e-book in Google Docs, right here’s what you want to do.
Table of Contents
Configuring Page Settings
Before you can begin writing your e-book, you want to configure your web page settings in order that it’s arrange to seem like a novel. The first step is to create your doc and tweak some settings.
Here’s what you want to do:
- Navigate to the Google Docs webpage in your browser.
- Sign in to your Google account.
- Under Start a New Document, click on on the Blank template.
- Once your new doc has opened, click on on File > Page Setup.
- Choose your web page choices. For most e-book templates, it is best to choose Portrait for the Orientation, Letter for the Paper Size, and be sure that Pages is chosen.
- Click OK while you’re achieved.
- Click on the Font dropdown on the high of the web page, and select your font. Times New Roman is a frequent font used for a lot of books.
- Set the font dimension to 11 or 12. You can use the plus and minus buttons, or simply sort the font dimension into the field.
Create a Title Page in Google Docs
Now it’s time to create your title web page on your novel. This would be the first web page that anybody sees out of your e-book.
To do that:
- Make certain your textual content is center-aligned by clicking on the Center Align icon.
- Type the title of your e-book.
- Press Enter twice, then sort your identify.
- Highlight the title of your e-book, then click on on the Styles dropdown that ought to presently learn Normal Text
- Scroll down to Heading 1 then click on on Apply ‘Heading 1’.
- Your e-book title will now seem as a giant heading in your title web page.
Rename Your Document in Google Docs
This is a good time to identify your doc. The cause that we’ve waited till this level is that Google Docs will generate a file identify for you from the primary content material in your doc, which saves you from having to sort it out.
Here’s the way it works:
- Click in the doc identify subject, which ought to presently learn Untitled Document.
- The subject ought to robotically populate with the title of your e-book.
- If you need to use a totally different identify on your doc, you may sort it in right here.
Create Your First Chapter in Google Docs
Your title web page is completed, and your doc has been named. Now it’s time to create your first chapter.
These are the steps:
- Click on the finish of your identify on the title web page.
- Press Ctrl-Enter on Windows or Cmd-Enter on Mac to create a web page break. This ensures that your first chapter begins on a totally different web page to your title web page.
- Type the identify of your chapter.
- It’s essential to use a heading somewhat than simply writing your chapter title in daring font, as it’ll assist when it comes time to create a desk of contents. Highlight your chapter identify, and click on on the Text dropdown.
- This time, scroll down after which click on on Heading 2.
- If you need to, click on on the Center Align icon, to put your chapter title in the center of the web page.
- Click on the finish of your chapter title, after which press Enter to begin the primary paragraph.
- Start writing your chapter.
- When you end your chapter, repeat steps 2-7 above to create the subsequent chapter.
Configuring Headers and Footers in Google Docs
Now that you simply’ve bought some pages written, you’re going to want some web page numbers on your e-book. We can add these in by utilizing headers and footers.
- Click on Insert > Headers & Footers > Header.
- Type the identify of your e-book. If you need this to seem centrally, click on on the Center Align icon.
- If you scroll to the highest of your doc, on the primary web page you will note a Different First Page checkbox. Ensure that is unchecked in order that the header doesn’t seem in your title web page.
- Now click on on Insert > Headers & Footers > Footer.
- Click on the Options dropdown after which click on on Page Numbers.
- Uncheck the Show On First Page checkbox in case you don’t need a web page quantity in your title web page. (It appears significantly better with out one). Click Apply.
- Click anyplace in the principle physique of the doc. You ought to now see your web page header and web page numbers on each web page besides the title web page.
Create a Table of Contents in Google Docs
The ultimate step is to arrange a desk of contents. This is why we made all of our chapter titles H2 headers somewhat than merely daring textual content: Google Docs will now create the desk of contents utilizing these headers.
This is the way it works:
- Click on the finish of your identify on the title web page, and press Ctrl-Enter on Windows or Cmd-Enter on Mac to create a web page break. This will insert a new web page for our desk of contents.
- Click Insert > Table of Contents and choose whether or not you need your desk of contents to embody web page numbers, or simply be made up of hyperlinks to every chapter.
- Your desk of contents will now be created.
- When you add extra chapters, you made want to replace your desk of contents. To accomplish that, click on on it, after which click on on the Update Table of Contents button.
Create a Book Template in Google Docs
If you’re planning to write multiple e-book, then we undoubtedly suggest saving a copy of your doc that may use as a template for different books.
These are the steps:
- Click on File > Make a Copy.
- Name your template and click on on Make a Copy.
- Strip out any of the chapter textual content, however depart the chapter headings; you may simply overwrite these while you write a new e-book, and it saves having to arrange the formatting once more.
- Now while you need to create one other e-book, simply open your e-book template, and click on on File > Make a Copy to create a new doc. That manner, your template will at all times stay unaltered.
Get The Most Out of Google Docs
There aren’t many phrase processing duties that may’t be achieved in Google Docs. Now that you know the way to make a e-book in Google Docs, there’s a lot extra to be taught.
It’s easy to share your paperwork if you’d like to collaborate, and you may even set an expiry date for shared paperwork so that folks can’t entry them indefinitely. If you’re nervous about it being an internet app, it’s doable to work offline with Google Docs if you know the way.
If you continue to can’t fairly let go of Microsoft Office, you may as well export Google Docs to Microsoft Office format.