Microsoft Word’s built-in spell checker ensures your paperwork don’t comprise any spelling or grammar errors. If this characteristic ever stops working, errors in your doc gained’t be highlighted. Thus, you threat ending up with paperwork containing grammar points.
Various gadgets may cause Word’s spell checker not to work. You may need manually disabled the spell checker, an incorrect language could also be specified in Word’s settings, or your present doc could also be an exception for the spell checker.
Once you repair these points, your spell checker can be again in motion to spotlight all of your spell and grammar issues.
Table of Contents
Enable Microsoft Word’s Spell Check Feature
When you discover your spelling or grammar issues aren’t highlighted in your paperwork, the very first thing to do is confirm if Word’s spell checker is enabled. You or another person could have disabled it, inflicting Word not to test your paperwork for points.
- Open Word in your pc.
- Select Options from the sidebar on the left.
- Choose Proofing in the left sidebar on the Word Options window.
- Enable each Check spelling as you sort and Mark grammar errors as you sort choices on the best pane.
- Select OK on the backside to save your modifications.
From now on, Word will spotlight each misspelled phrases and grammar errors in your paperwork.
Select the Appropriate Proofing Language in Word
You ought to select the appropriate proofing language in Word in case your doc accommodates a number of languages. Word could not spotlight errors in your second language in the event you haven’t chosen this language in the proofing settings menu.
Luckily, you possibly can choose your Word doc’s half that’s in a distinct language, and select the suitable language in proofing to spotlight points.
- Open your doc in Word.
- Select the doc half containing textual content in a distinct language.
- Access the Review tab from the ribbon on the high. Then, select Language > Language > Set Proofing Language.
- Select the language your textual content makes use of in the dialog field that opens.
- Uncheck each Do not test spelling or grammar and Detect language routinely bins.
- Select OK on the backside.
Review Word’s Proofing Exceptions
Word presents a characteristic to disable spelling and grammar checker in chosen paperwork. You should guarantee your present doc isn’t a part of that exception record. If it’s, you’ll have to take away the exception so Word checks and highlights each spell and grammar points in your present doc.
- Launch your doc with Word.
- Select File > More > Options in Word.
- Choose Proofing from the sidebar on the left.
- Scroll the best pane to the underside. Then, choose your present doc from the Exceptions for drop-down menu.
- Deselect each Hide spelling errors in this doc solely and Hide grammar errors in this doc solely choices.
- Choose OK on the backside to save your modifications.
Open Word in Safe Mode and Check if Word Add-Ins Are Causing the Issue
Word allows you to install third-party add-ins to the app. Sometimes, a number of of those add-ins causes issues. Your spell checker not working could also be the results of an put in add-in.
In this case, you possibly can launch Word in secure mode and see in case your add-ins are the perpetrator. Then, you possibly can disable all add-ins and allow one add-in at a time to see which one is inflicting the issue.
- Launch Word in secure mode by discovering the app in the Start menu, holding down the Ctrl key in your keyboard, and choosing the app in the search outcomes.
- Select Yes in the immediate to open Word in secure mode.
- Open your doc in Word and see in case your spell and/or grammar points are highlighted. Your add-ins are seemingly the perpetrator if the built-in spell checker is working.
- Review your add-ins record by first closing and reopening Word in regular mode, after which selecting File > More > Options.
- Select Add-ins from the sidebar on the left.
- Choose COM Add-ins from the Manage drop-down menu on the best. Then, choose Go.
- Keep just one add-in enabled whereas disabling all others and see if the difficulty happens. This approach, you’ll know which add-in is inflicting your Word’s spell checker not to work.
Make Word Generate a New Default Document Template
Word makes use of a default document template to base all of your future paperwork on. If this template accommodates points, your spell checker could not work. In this case, you possibly can pressure Word to create a brand new template by renaming the previous template.
That will make Word assume you’ve deleted the template, and the app will create a brand new one from scratch.
- Open the Run dialog field by urgent Windows + R keys on the similar time.
- Type the next in the Run field and press Enter. Replace username with the username you employ in your PC in the under path: C:UsersusernameAppDataRoamingMicrosoftTemplates
- Right-click the Normal.dotm file and select Rename.
- Type BK-Normal.dotm as the brand new identify and press Enter.
- Launch Word, and the app will make a brand new default doc template.
Repair Microsoft Office on Your Computer
If Word’s spell checker nonetheless doesn’t work, your Microsoft Office set up could have an issue. In this case, use Office’s restore device to fix the issues with all your Office apps, together with Word.
The restore device is constructed into Office, so that you don’t have to obtain or set up the device in your pc.
- Launch Control Panel in your PC by opening the Start menu, looking for Control Panel, and choosing the utility in the search outcomes.
- Select Uninstall a program on the Control Panel window. (Don’t fear, you aren’t uninstalling something.)
- Choose Microsoft Office on the record and choose Change on the high.
- Select Yes in the User Account Control immediate.
- Enable the Quick Repair possibility and choose Repair on the backside. If Quick Repair doesn’t repair your Office apps, chances are you’ll use the Online Repair possibility.
- Follow the on-screen directions to resolve your Office app issues.
Many Ways to Fix Spell Check Not Working in Word
Microsoft Word’s spell test characteristic not working might be an enormous inconvenience in the event you closely depend on this characteristic to fix issues in your documents. Luckily, you might have a number of strategies, as outlined above, to get round the issue and repair the damaged spell checker. We hope the information above helps you out.