Seeing an ntoskrnl.exe BSOD error seem on your Windows 11 PC? Don’t panic, as a result of you need to be in a position to repair it utilizing the steps on this useful information.
A Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) error is an indication that there’s one thing flawed along with your Windows PC. It’s a vital error—your PC is pressured to reboot when it seems.
This isn’t as catastrophic because it sounds, as a result of BSODs are used to try to shield your system recordsdata (and PC usually) from additional harm or corruption. You ought to try to examine a BSOD by holding monitor of the error message it shows. One such BSOD you would possibly see is a ntoskrnl.exe BSOD on Windows 11.
The error means that there’s an issue with the Windows working system kernel executable (ntoskrnl.exe). Without this file, Windows can’t run. If you’re getting this error, the next steps will make it easier to to repair a ntoskrnl.exe BSOD on Windows 11.
Table of Contents
Check Your RAM for Errors
One of the primary issues it is best to do is test is your system’s RAM integrity for doable errors. You can do that utilizing the Windows Memory Diagnostic instrument or one other third-party utility.
To run a diagnostic check of your RAM, do the next:
- Click Start or hit the Windows key to launch the Start menu.
- Type reminiscence and click on the Windows Memory Diagnostic app from the highest end result.
- When the reminiscence diagnostic instrument launches, click on the Restart now and test for issues (beneficial) choice on the prime.
- Your PC will restart and boot into the Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool and test for points.
If the scan detects errors, attempt reseating and swapping RAM sticks in a desktop or reseat reminiscence in a laptop computer if it’s accessible. If you proceed to get errors, you’ll need to test along with your PC’s producer — hopefully, it’s nonetheless beneath guarantee.
You would possibly need to get a second opinion, so use memetest86+ and examine the check outcomes. Memtest86+ is a well-liked utility for testing your RAM as it’s free and open-source.
Run SFC and DISM Scans
In addition to the built-in reminiscence diagnostics instrument, you possibly can run an SFC and DISM scan to test Windows for corrupt recordsdata. Corrupt recordsdata may very well be the reason for the ntoskrnl.exe BSOD error. SFC and DISM scans will seek for corrupt system recordsdata and exchange them with working ones.
You can run SFC and DISM scans on Windows 11 by doing the next:
- Right-click the Start button and choose Windows Terminal (Admin) from the menu.
- Type the next command within the terminal and hit Enter.
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Now, after the DISM scan completes, do a system file test by operating the next command:
Ruch a Chkdsk Scan
It’s additionally value checking your onerous drive for errors, as a defective onerous drive might cease Windows from working correctly. For instance, you should utilize the built-in chkdsk utility to determine points along with your system drive.
To test your system drive for errors utilizing chkdsk:
- Open the Start menu and kind powershell.
- When Windows PowerShell seems, click on the Run as Administrator choice.
- When the terminal opens, enter the next command and hit Enter.
chkdsk /r /f
- The utility will immediate you to scan the subsequent time you restart Windows 11 – sort Y and hit Enter.
Check for Malware
If a virus or different shoddy malware resides on your system, it may very well be interfering with system features. The Windows 11 safety app scans for malware in real-time, however it won’t catch every thing.
You can scan for viruses and different malware utilizing the next steps:
- Open the Start menu, sort home windows safety, and choose the highest end result.
- Select Virus & risk safety on the left and click on the Quick scan button.
- If the short scan choice doesn’t discover something, run a deeper scan. Select the Scan choices hyperlink and select Full scan or Microsoft Defender Offline scan.
Note that deeper scans take longer to full however are value it if cussed malware is inflicting the BSOD error. Also, if Windows Security finds nothing, attempt a virus scan with a free and trusted safety utility akin to Avast or AVG AntiVirus.
Check Your Device Drivers
Device drivers combine tightly inside Windows, permitting it to interface correctly along with your PC’s elements. If a driver is corrupt, it might trigger the ntoskrnl.exe BSOD error. Updating or reinstalling drivers can repair the problem. However, there are loads of drivers, and it’s onerous to know the place to begin.
If you lately up to date a tool driver and are getting the error, begin with that system first. For instance, when you replace the GPU driver and get the error, begin with it.
You can handle drivers by Device Manager by doing the next:
- Open Start, sort system supervisor, and choose the highest end result.
- When Device Manager opens, right-click the system you lately up to date. From right here, you possibly can replace, uninstall, or disable the driving force.
Try a Clean Boot or Safe Mode
If you’re struggling to diagnose this concern, you might have considered trying to clear boot into Windows 11. A clear boot will use minimal startup apps and drivers to load the working system.
A clear boot offers you extra management over which providers and apps run throughout startup than Safe Mode. However, the method might be tedious as you’ll need to boot your PC and allow apps and providers one by one.
If you’re nonetheless having points or Windows crashes earlier than getting to the sign-in display, boot Windows 11 into Safe Mode. Once you’re within the Safe Mode setting, choose Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt and try to repair the problem utilizing the steps above.
Keeping Your Data Safe
If you get a ntoskrnl.exe BSOD error, don’t panic. One of the steps above ought to get your PC up and operating once more. Keep in thoughts, although, even when you repair ntoskrnl.exe BSOD on Windows 11, your knowledge wants to be secure earlier than a crash occasion happens.
Windows 11 consists of instruments to assist preserve your knowledge secure. You can create a restore level to roll again your system to a working state. It consists of OneDrive for backing up knowledge and syncing settings. You also can carry out an entire system backup to shield your system from knowledge loss.