Microsoft Excel’s responsiveness issues are frequent. The points might happen from a minor glitch or one other downside with the app. If you may’t resolve the problem by closing and relaunching Excel. you may want to look into extra superior options.
There are literally varied methods to repair Excel when it freezes. You can launch it in protected mode, disable add-ins, and even use the restore utility to repair all Office apps. Here are just a few options you may strive to resolve your downside.
Table of Contents
Open Excel in Safe Mode
A fast manner to verify in case your configured choices or add-ins are inflicting Excel not to reply is to launch the app in protected mode. Excel solely hundreds important objects once you do that, leaving out any add-ins and customised choices.
This permits you to determine in case your add-ins are the offender. If that’s the case, you may disable these problematic add-ins.
- Press the Windows + R keys concurrently to open the Run field.
- Type the next within the Run field and press Enter:excel.exe /protected
- Excel ought to open in protected mode.
If Excel hundreds in protected mode, your configured choices or add-ins are probably the reason for the problem. In this case, observe the second repair under to flip off the problematic add-ins.
Disable Add-Ins in Excel
Add-ins are sometimes the reason for varied Excel points, and it’s price turning these off to see in case your issues are resolved. It’s straightforward to disable Excel add-ins, and you’ll shortly flip them again on everytime you need.
- Open the Run field by urgent Windows + R keys on the identical time.
- Type the next within the Run field and press Enter: excel.exe /protected
- Select File > More > Options when Excel launches in protected mode.
- Choose Add-ins from the sidebar on the left.
- Select COM Add-ins from the Manage drop-down menu and select Go.
- Untick the packing containers for all add-ins displayed on the window. Then, choose OK.
- Quit Excel and reopen Excel in regular mode (not protected mode).
- If Excel is now not unresponsive, allow one add-in at a time to discover out the offender one.
Change the Default Printer on Your Windows 10/11 PC
Excel’s unresponsiveness subject doesn’t have something to do together with your printers immediately. Still, because the app makes use of your printer’s margins, it’s price altering your default printer to see if that resolves the issue.
You can at all times return to your authentic default printer with the identical steps.
- Launch Settings by urgent Windows + I keys on the identical time.
- Choose Devices adopted by Printers & scanners in Settings.
- Select a non-default printer from the record and select Manage.
- Select Set as default to make the newly chosen printer the default.
- Launch Excel and see if the app responds.
If you’ve mounted the problem by altering your default printer, your printer drivers likely have issues. In this case, uninstall and reinstall your printer in your PC, which ought to most definitely resolve your downside.
You can also proceed with the present setup and select the precise printer once you need to print one thing, if you want.
Disable Your Antivirus Software to Fix Excel Not Responding Error
Some antivirus applications detect protected information as suspicious ones, which may very well be why Excel doesn’t reply in your laptop. Your Excel app is perhaps acknowledged as a possible risk by your antivirus.
In this case, quickly flip off your antivirus safety and see if Excel opens. The actual steps to disable the safety fluctuate by this system you utilize. In most apps, you may flip off the safety by right-clicking this system on the system tray and selecting the disable possibility.
If your subject is resolved by doing that, you’ll have to whitelist the Excel app in your antivirus. Or, it’s possible you’ll select to get a new antivirus program if you would like.
Repair Microsoft Office
Microsoft merchandise typically embrace restore instruments so you may repair most points with out in search of anybody’s assist. This can also be the case with Microsoft Office, and you should use Office’s restore utility to repair all of your MS Office apps in just a few clicks.
The restore device affords each a fast restore and a web based restore possibility. You can begin with the short repair possibility to see if that helps repair your subject.
- Open Control Panel by accessing the Start menu, looking for Control Panel, and deciding on the utility within the search outcomes.
- Choose Uninstall a program on the Control Panel window.
- Find and choose Microsoft Office within the record. Then, select Change on the prime.
- Select Yes within the User Account Control immediate.
- Select the Quick Repair possibility and select Repair. Then, observe the on-screen directions to restore your Office apps, together with Excel.
- Once your Office applications are mounted, restart your PC and launch Excel.
Update Microsoft Office
An current bug also can trigger Excel not to reply to your actions. In this case, updating to a more moderen Office model can probably resolve your downside. You can carry out an Office replace from any Office app in your laptop.
Since you may’t use Excel, make the most of the Word app to replace all of your Office apps without delay.
- Launch the Microsoft Word app in your laptop.
- Select File > Account in Word.
- Choose Update Options > Update Now to replace your apps.
- When your apps are up to date, open Excel, and the app ought to reply usually.
Check and Install a Windows Update
Like Microsoft Office, you must preserve your Windows model up to date as nicely, so you might have the newest bug fixes. Windows often routinely checks for and installs the most recent updates, and you’ve got the choice to run a guide replace verify, too.
- Access Settings by urgent Windows + I keys.
- Choose Update & Security in Settings.
- Select Windows Update on the left and Check for updates on the proper.
- Install the accessible updates and restart your PC.
Many Ways to Resolve the Excel Not Responding Issue
If your Excel app ever turns into unresponsive, and you’ll’t proceed together with your spreadsheet duties, use a number of of the strategies above to presumably get across the subject. Once you’ve mounted the underlying issues, your Excel app will work because it’s supposed to. Good luck!