Over the previous a number of years, information safety has turn out to be a essential side of everybody’s digital life. Be it their private info on social networking websites or different on-line platforms or offline information on their computer systems and cell units, all of it’s susceptible to theft. Thus, it is crucial to shield your information by any means attainable. While it’s troublesome to shield your self on on-line platforms, care have to be taken for the knowledge you add or share. Data safety fares a little higher on the offline entrance. Individual recordsdata and packages may be encrypted with passwords. Encrypting information prevents it from being seen by different customers who’ve entry to the identical pc. In this text, we have now defined two options on how to encrypt a folder in Windows 10 in order to shield your recordsdata on Windows 10. So. proceed studying to encrypt a file utilizing folder encryption software program.
How to Encrypt a Folder in Windows 10
Depending on what you’re looking to encrypt, there are completely different folder encryption software program that can be utilized. Windows 10 presents two built-in instruments for this goal, specifically, EFS and Bitlocker. EFS stands for Encrypting File System and is used to encrypt particular person recordsdata and folders whereas Bitlocker is used to encrypt total volumes. Apart from these native instruments, there are additionally a plethora of third-party encryption functions accessible on the web which supply further options.
Method 1: Use Encrypting File System on Windows Enterprise & Pro
More typically than not, customers are solely wanting to shield sure recordsdata from their privacy-invading siblings or envious colleagues who’ve entry to their pc. If that’s certainly the case, making separate person accounts is step one adopted by denying entry to your private recordsdata to different customers. This may be achieved by utilizing the EFS characteristic which encrypts information on NTFS drives on a per-user foundation.
- In layman’s phrases, solely the person account that encrypted the recordsdata will likely be in a position to entry them. And, all different accounts will likely be prohibited from interacting with the encrypted file.
- You merely want to log in from that person account to entry the recordsdata and needn’t enter the encryption password once more.
- Although, ensure to set a robust password in your person account as that’s the solely factor that stands between others accessing your encrypted recordsdata and folders.
Note: EFS is simply accessible on Enterprise and Professional variations of Windows.
Follow the steps listed beneath to encrypt a folder in Windows 10 utilizing EFS.
Step I: Encrypt File/Folder utilizing EFS
1. Press Windows key + E keys concurrently to open File Explorer
2. Right-click on file you desire to to encrypt from different customers and select Properties from the following menu, as proven.
3. On the General tab, click on on the Advanced… button as highlighted beneath.
4. Finally, test the field for Encrypt contents to safe information possibility beneath the Compress or Encrypt attributes part.
5. Click on OK to save the modification.
6. If you might be encrypting a single file, an encryption warning dialog field will pop up. Choose any one of many given choices and click on on OK.
- Encrypt the file and its guardian folder (beneficial)
- Encrypt the file solely
7. Click on Apply in the Properties window to apply the adjustments.
8. This will open a window prompting to you select an possibility for encryption. Choose your most popular possibility and click on OK to proceed:
- Apply adjustments to this folder solely
- Apply adjustments to this folder, subfolders and recordsdata
Note: The window could freeze a couple of minutes in the course of the encryption course of.
9. Click on OK to exit the folder properties window. The encrypted file will likely be marked with a tiny padlock on the top-right nook of the file’s thumbnail, as proven highlighted.
Step II: Set & Save Encryption Key
10. Once the file/folder has been efficiently encrypted, a notification requesting you to backup the encryption certificates and key will seem on the backside proper nook of your display screen. Open this notification and choose Back up now (beneficial) possibility to proceed.
Note: You can even select different choices however we advocate you to again it up instantly to stop any sort of information loss in case you overlook your person account password and can’t entry the encrypted file in the longer term.
11. Follow on-screen directions in the Certificate Export Wizard. Type the Password and Confirm password & click on Next.
12. Click on the Browse… button to select the precise location the place the encryption key needs to be saved and set an acceptable title for a similar.
13. Click on Next to finalize it.
That’s it, you may have efficiently encrypted the file from different person accounts and in addition saved a restoration key for security.
Note: It is beneficial to copy the restoration key and the encryption certificates to exterior media or add it to cloud storage.
To decrypt the file in the longer term, observe steps 1-4 to open Advanced Attributes Window of the file. Simply, uncheck Encrypt contents to safe information possibility, as depicted beneath.
Also Read: Fix Encrypt Contents To Secure Data Grayed Out In Windows 10
Method 2: Use Third-party Encryption Programs on Windows Home Edition
As talked about earlier, EFS just isn’t accessible on Home version of Windows. You can use third-party folder encryption software program. Several antivirus packages additionally present encryption options. All these packages observe completely different encryption methods and supply various ranges of safety. So earlier than putting in any of them, go to their official web sites and browse out the specs.
Note: We will likely be demonstrating how to encrypt a file utilizing 7-zip. However, the process stays related for different functions as effectively.
Step I: Encrypt File/Folder utilizing 7-Zip
1. Download & set up 7-zip in your pc first.
2. Right-click on the file you desire to to encrypt. Choose 7-Zip > Add to archive… possibility, as depicted.
3. In the Archive: discipline, enter an acceptable title for the encrypted file.
4. Click Archive format drop-down checklist and select zip, as proven.
5. On the right-hand facet, select AES-256 in Encryption technique: drop-down checklist.
6. Type the password beneath Enter password and Reenter the password fields respectively.
Note: Tick the field subsequent to Show Password to test the password entered.
7. Click on OK to create the encrypted file.
Note: The encryption course of could take a couple of minutes to end relying on the dimensions of the file and the password-protected .zip file will seem in the identical location as the unique file.
The zip file may be opened by anybody. In order to extract its contents and to view them, you’ll be required to enter the password set earlier.
Hence, that is how one can encrypt a folder utilizing folder encryption software program.
Also Read: 25 Best Encryption Software For Windows
How to Encrypt Word Documents
If you’re looking to shield delicate info contained inside a Microsoft Word file, you may encrypt the doc from throughout the utility itself. An important level to bear in mind about Word doc encryption is that it really works on per-PC foundation. This implies that should you ship the file to another person, it received’t stay password protected. Here’s how to accomplish that:
1. Hit Windows key, sort Word, and click on Open, as proven.
2. Click on File on the top-left nook.
3. Then, click on Open and navigate to the doc location and Open it.
4. Again, go to the File menu and click on on the Info tab.
5. Here, click on on Protect Document. From the drop-down checklist, select Encrypt with Password possibility, as illustrated beneath.
6. In the Encrypt Document pop-up, sort the specified Password and click on OK.
Note: Just like at all times, the password will likely be case-sensitive.
7. Again in Confirm Password immediate, re-enter the password to affirm it and hit Enter key to end doc encryption.
The following message will likely be displayed: A password is required to open this doc.
Pro Tip: How to Encrypt Windows Drives/Partitions
On the opposite hand, if you’re wanting to encrypt a complete quantity of knowledge, take a look at our information on How to Enable and Set Up BitLocker Encryption on Windows 10.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Can you encrypt a folder in Windows 10?
Ans. Yes, you may encrypt particular person folders on Windows 10 Enterprise and Professional variations utilizing the Encrypting File System.
Q2. How do I password shield my recordsdata in Windows 10?
Ans. To password shield solo recordsdata from different person accounts, you need to use the built-in EFS characteristic however if you want to encrypt a file in normal, set up a third-party utility reminiscent of 7-zip or VeraCrypt.
Hope the above strategies helped you to perceive how to encrypt a folder Windows 10 utilizing in-built or third-party folder encryption software program. We would additionally like to remind you that every one forms of encryption may be cracked albeit with brute power, numerous effort, and requires experience. So be extraordinarily cautious of who you might be sharing your recordsdata with. Keep visiting our web page for extra cool suggestions & methods and depart your feedback beneath.