On Windows 11, you’ve a light-weight file compression function that may enable you liberate some disk area. The file compression function of Windows 11 can shrink the scale of the recordsdata and folders with out relying on third-party file compression instruments.
The function solely works with drives utilizing the NTFS File system, and it has a number of drawbacks. In low-end computer systems, the file compression function of Windows 11 would possibly have an effect on the efficiency.
When you copy/transfer a compressed NTFS file to a unique folder or drive, NTFS will first decompress the recordsdata, copy/transfer the file to the brand new location, after which it’ll once more recompress the file. This further course of will use your CPU and RAM sources, affecting the system’s efficiency.
Steps to Enable File Compression on Windows 11
However, when you’ve got a high-end PC, you gained’t discover any efficiency points whereas shifting the compressed recordsdata between folders or drives. Here are some easy steps to allow file compression on Windows 11 working system.
1. First, open the File Explorer on your PC and navigate to the folder you need to compress.
2. Right-click on the folder and choose Properties.
3. On the Folder Properties, change to the General tab and click on on the Advanced possibility.
4. On the Advanced Attributes, verify the choice Compress contents to save disk area. Once executed, click on on the Ok button.
5. Select Apply modifications to this folder solely possibility on the following immediate and click on on the Ok button.
That’s it! This will activate the NTFS file compression on your chosen folder. You would discover two blue arrows above the folder. These arrows point out the folder had been compressed.
Compress Drive with NTFS on Windows 11
If you need, you may compress a complete drive with NTFS file compression on Windows 11. For that, observe among the easy steps now we have shared.
1. First of all, open the File Explorer on your PC. Next, right-click on the drive the place you need to allow the NTFS compression and choose Properties.
2. On the Drive Properties, verify the choice ‘Compress this drive to save disk space’.
3. Once executed, click on on the Apply button.
4. On the following pop-up, choose Apply modifications to this drive solely and click on on the Ok button.
That’s it! This will allow the NTFS compression on your chosen drive.
Also Read: How to Change Wallpaper in Windows 11 Without Activation
So, that’s how one can allow file compression in Windows 11. If you’ve a low-end PC, you may permit the NTFS compression to compress folders or drive that you simply don’t use typically. In this fashion, it is possible for you to to avoid wasting disk area. If you face a efficiency situation, you want to revert your modifications to disable the File compression.