Microsoft makes use of telemetry knowledge out of your PC to assist enhance Windows. If you’re involved about privateness, you may disable telemetry on Windows 11.
Data assortment is massive enterprise—it’s additionally a giant privateness concern for customers. Windows 11 collects a wholesome (or unhealthy) quantity of telemetry knowledge assortment on your system utilization, app use, visited web sites, and so forth. Microsoft additionally collects your Windows 11 utilization statistics by way of its built-in telemetry system.
While the information isn’t related immediately to the person, you might have considered trying to disable it for those who’re involved about privateness. Luckily, you may flip the information assortment function off on Windows 11.
Table of Contents
What is Windows Telemetry?
Telemetry is an automatic course of that includes knowledge assortment from a distant supply (your PC) and transmitting it again to Microsoft. The firm makes use of the collected knowledge to monitor and enhance the working system. In addition, the corporate makes use of the information to improve safety and enhance the general person expertise.
While sending utilization statistics to Microsoft sounds good, it leaves the door open to share the anonymized knowledge with third events. If you’re involved about Windows routinely sending telemetry and different diagnostic knowledge to Microsoft, use the next steps to flip it off.
Disable Telemetry Collection on Windows 11
You can disable the quantity of telemetry assortment by Windows 11 through the Settings menu.
Use the next steps to flip off telemetry on Windows 11:
- Open the Start menu and click on the Settings icon.
- Next, click on Privacy & safety after which Diagnostics & suggestions from the record on the proper.
- Expand the Diagnostic knowledge choice and toggle off the Send elective diagnostic knowledge choice.
- Turning off Diagnostics & suggestions limits knowledge assortment by Microsoft, nevertheless it doesn’t disable every little thing. Scroll down the record, increase the Tailored experiences part, and toggle it off.
It’s additionally essential to word that you simply’ll now not obtain updates for those who’re within the Windows Insider Program till you flip it again on. Being within the Insider program means it’s essential to ship telemetry and different diagnostic data to Microsoft.
How to Disable Telemetry Through Group Policy
If you’re working Windows 11 Pro or larger, you may disable telemetry by utilizing Group Policy.
To flip off telemetry assortment through Group Policy, do the next:
- Press Windows key + R on your keyboard to deliver up the Run dialog.
- In Run, sort gpedit.msc and click on OK.
- When the Group Policy Editor opens, navigate to the next path:
Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Data Collection and Preview Builds
- Double-click on Allow Diagnostic Data.
- Set the coverage to Disabled and click on OK.(*11*)
- Exit out of the Group Policy Editor—telemetry knowledge will now not be collected.
How to Disable Other Diagnostic Data on Windows 11
Usage statistics aren’t every little thing Windows 11 collects. For instance, you might have considered trying to flip off just a few different diagnostic knowledge collections in Windows 11.
To disable different diagnostic knowledge on Windows 11:
- Open Start > Settings and click on on Privacy & safety.
- Under the Windows permissions part, click on on Speech and toggle off Online speech recognition.
- Next, within the Privacy & safety part, click on Inking & typing personalization and toggle it off.
- Click on Activity History and click on the Clear historical past button to clear your knowledge, after which toggle it off.
- Finally, navigate to Settings > Privacy & safety > General.
- Toggle off all 4 settings on the high. These settings flip off personalised adverts, web site monitoring, Windows and search monitoring, and customised content material within the Settings app.
Staying Secure with Windows 11
If you observe the steps above, you may restrict or disable telemetry on Windows 11.
The knowledge despatched to Microsoft from telemetry knowledge is anonymized and the corporate makes use of it to enhance Windows. However, for those who’re not snug with the quantity of telemetry despatched from Windows 11, you may flip it off. For extra privateness, you may flip off different diagnostic knowledge settings, corresponding to speech recognition.
Check out how to use Windows Security on Windows 11 for optimum safety to enhance your system safety. If you’re seeing false positives (and also you’re completely certain the file is protected), you may at all times quickly flip off Windows Security.