Having just one partition in your arduous drive is mostly not a good concept. Unless you save all of your knowledge on a flash drive or exterior disk, the day Windows stops working you run the danger of dropping all of your information and private knowledge alongside the best way.
To keep away from having to recuperate all these misplaced information, the perfect you are able to do is create a further partition. This manner, you should utilize that partition solely to retailer your necessary information and paperwork, and the day that Windows fails, you’ll solely have to format the principle partition, holding all the information in the secondary partition protected.
How to create a new partition with out deleting knowledge (Windows 7/8/10/11)
If you need to create a new partition on the arduous drive from a partition that already comprises knowledge, you are able to do it fairly simply. The solely requirement is that the partition you’re going to work with makes use of the NTFS format.
You can see if the partition is formatted as NTFS by opening Windows Explorer and navigating to “This PC”, right-clicking on the partition and choosing “Properties”.
Partition in NTFS or FAT32?
If the partition is formatted as FAT32, you want to change the file system to NTFS. To do that,
- Type “cmd” in the Windows search engine,
- Select “Command Prompt -> Run as administrator”.
Next, run the next command in the terminal window, the place “x” corresponds to the drive letter that’s in FAT32 format and also you need to partition:
convert x: /fs:ntfs
Before launching the command make sure that to shut all open applications, as a result of if the partition is in use by one other software you will note a warning message on the display screen, and the conversion course of may very well be sophisticated.
Create the brand new partition
Now that you’ve got the partition in NTFS format, you must divide it to create a new partition.
- Press “ Win+R ” keys and execute the command “ diskmgmt.msc”. This will open the disk administration panel.
- Locate the specified partition and right-click on it. Select “ Reduce Volume ”. This is a very delicate step: verify no less than twice that you’ve got chosen the right partition.
- Now choose the house you need to allocate to the brand new partition, and specify that knowledge in megabytes in the “Size of space you want to reduce” part. Be positive to go away sufficient house left for the information that the partition already comprises.
- When you may have every little thing prepared, click on on “Reduce”.
Once the quantity is diminished you will note that there’s a new house on the disk that seems as “ Unallocated ”.
- Right-click on this free house and choose “ New Simple Volume ”.
- Indicate the house you need to allocate to this new partition. By default, it selects the utmost free house obtainable.
- Hit “Next” and assign a letter to this new drive.
- Click on “Finish”.
How to create a new partition utilizing DISKPART
If you want to create greater than 4 partitions on the arduous drive then you’ll have to use the DISKPART instructions. This is a Windows device that doesn’t have a graphical interface, so all actions are carried out from a terminal window.
- Open a terminal window with administrator permissions as indicated above.
- Run the next instructions:
- diskpart // this command will invoke the DISKPART utility
- checklist disk // present a checklist of all disks
- choose disk X // the place “X” corresponds to the variety of the disk that seems in the checklist that we simply loaded
- create partition main dimension=5000 // creates a main partition on the chosen disk. Substitute 5000 for the house you need to allocate to your partition in MB.
Note: If you need to create an prolonged partition, please exchange “primary” with “extended” in the above command.
- Lastly, assign a letter for the brand new partition with this command:
- Assign letter=Y // the place “Y” will correspond to the letter we have now chosen for the brand new unit.
- Exit // use this command to shut the DISKPART utility.