A dangling indent is when the primary line of a paragraph is ready at one ruler location (normally the web page’s left margin), and the remaining traces are indented. Creating hanging indents in Google Docs is tremendous simple.
Hanging indents are mostly used for citations, references, and bibliographies. You may also use a hanging indent for a desk of contents because the typical format entails a header with an indented record of things beneath it. Google Docs has a built-in instrument for creating a desk of contents, however in case your doc’s headings aren’t formatted as H1, H2, and so on., you need to use hanging indentation to format it like a desk of contents.
Before we speak about creating hanging indents in Google Docs, let’s get you extra comfy with the idea of a hanging indent.
Table of Contents
What Is a Hanging Indent?
A dangling indent is an indent that’s utilized to all besides the primary line of a paragraph. Here’s an instance of what a hanging indent seems to be like on the works cited web page of a analysis paper that makes use of the APA, Chicago, or MLA format:
Hanging indents look skilled, however in the event you don’t learn many academic-style paperwork, you won’t be accustomed to them. Some of probably the most extensively used fashion guides, like Modern Language Association (MLA), American Psychological Association (APA), and Chicago Manual of Style, require you to use hanging indents.
How to Create a Hanging Indent in Google Docs
Fortunately, Google Docs provides hanging indents as a built-in characteristic. If you’re attempting to add hanging indents to a Google Doc, right here’s what you want to do:
- Start by choosing the textual content to which you need to apply the hanging indent.
- Click Format from the highest ribbon to open a drop-down menu. Next, choose Align & indent > Indentation choices.
- From the indentation choices, choose the drop-down menu beneath Special indent, choose Hanging, and choose Apply.
After you apply the indent, that is what your textual content will seem like:
How to Create a Hanging Indent Using a Ruler in Google Docs
You may also create a hanging indent utilizing the ruler instrument. If you need extra flexibility in how a lot you need to indent, utilizing the ruler is best (and faster) than navigating by means of the menus like in the earlier technique. The ruler seems on the prime of your Google Doc, however you possibly can allow it in the event you don’t see it by choosing View from the highest ribbon after which Show ruler.
Once you see the ruler alongside the highest border of your doc, you’ll discover two components on the ruler:
- A light-weight-blue triangle: the inverted triangle works because the left indent marker.
- A light-weight-blue rectangle: the rectangle sits above the inverted triangle and works as the primary line indent marker.
Dragging the triangle (which mechanically strikes the rectangle) to the left brings the chosen textual content nearer to the left margin. However, in the event you drag solely the rectangle to the left, you possibly can indent simply the primary traces of all the chosen paragraphs. So, creating a hanging indent with a ruler is barely a two-step course of:
- Select the textual content.
- Drag the rectangle to the place the left margin begins and the triangle the place you need to indent the textual content in the second and subsequent traces.
Using the ruler eliminates the necessity to navigate by means of drop-down menus. It additionally provides you a real-time preview of how the indents will look. If you don’t like what you see, you possibly can rapidly drag the indent markers and alter the doc’s look.
If including a hanging indent spills a line or two of textual content on a new web page, take into account altering the margin to regulate the house obtainable for the textual content in your doc.
How to Create a Hanging Indent in Google Doc Mobile Apps
The built-in characteristic to create a hanging indent is at the moment solely obtainable on computer systems. If you’re utilizing a PC or Mac, you shouldn’t have any issues creating a hanging indent, however what in the event you’re utilizing an iPhone, iPad, or Android machine?
Since there’s no built-in characteristic for creating a hanging indent, you’ll want to use some creativity:
- Place the cursor proper earlier than the textual content you need to add indent to and press the return key.
- Click on the A icon on the prime, change to the Paragraph tab, and choose the right-indent possibility.
Your paragraph ought to now have a hanging indent.
How to Create Hanging Indent in Microsoft Word
Microsoft Word additionally makes it simple to create hanging indents:
- Select the textual content to which you need to apply indentation.
- Select the Home tab from the highest. Select the tiny arrow on the backside proper of the Paragraph part.
- Under Indentation, choose Hanging as a particular indentation.
- Click OK to apply and exit.
It’s that simple, and undoing a hanging indent in Word isn’t tough both.
Hanging Indentation Made Easy
Hanging indents can provide the references web page in your paperwork a skilled look, and Google Docs makes utilizing them simple. Google Docs makes a lot of different issues simple too. For occasion, do you know that Google Docs may also convert YouTube videos to text?