The Oculus Quest 2 is a robust VR headset that’s obtainable for an reasonably priced worth level, however its capabilities are restricted as a result of it’s a standalone machine. The excellent news is that you would be able to join it to your PC to play video games that will in any other case solely be obtainable to somebody with a extra highly effective VR headset.
How to Connect Oculus Quest 2 to PC
There are two methods to join the Oculus Quest 2 to your PC. The first is thru a hyperlink cable, whereas the second is thru a service often called Oculus Air Link.
A couple of issues you need to word earlier than you do this. The first is that that is strictly for Windows. While some folks have managed to get this to work on Mac through the use of a Hackintosh, it’s not widespread. You’ll want a robust NVIDIA or AMD GPU to make this work the best way it ought to.
You can even want a minimum of a GTX 1060 at a minimal. Of course, the extra highly effective your graphics card, the higher. The secret’s making certain your system meets the compatibility and system necessities. You can discover these necessities on the Oculus Quest 2 website.
Finally, you will have a USB-C cable linked to a USB 3.0 port in your PC.
How to Connect Oculus Quest 2 Through a Link Cable
The major power of the Oculus Quest 2 is that it’s wi-fi. Connecting by means of a hyperlink cable tethers you to a PC, however it additionally allows you to entry the total processing capabilities of your machine to be used in your headset. If it’s a sport that doesn’t require an enormous quantity of motion (or you may have a protracted sufficient cable that you would be able to transfer freely whereas linked), then it’s a straightforward resolution.
- Open the Oculus PC app. If you don’t have already got it, obtain it from the Oculus website.
- Connect a appropriate USB-C cable to a USB-C port in your PC – ideally on the entrance for best entry and to capitalize on the size of the cable.
- Plug that cable into your Oculus Quest 2 headset. When it prompts you to Allow entry to information, choose Deny. If you enable entry, you’ll want to bodily disconnect the cable out of your headset and plug it in once more.
- After this, you’ll be prompted to Enable Oculus Link. When this occurs, choose Enable.
This opens a brand new window that provides you entry to your PC. From right here, you can begin SteamVR games, Oculus Rift, or PC VR video games. That’s all there may be to it – the hyperlink cable is a straightforward resolution, offered your pc meets the minimal specs.
How to Connect Oculus Quest 2 Through Air Link
The second possibility is to join the Oculus Quest 2 with a wireless connection by means of Air Link. This is the preferable possibility – it requires no cables, however it may introduce extra latency with decrease efficiency in case your Wi-Fi connection isn’t up to the duty.
You will want a Wi-Fi 6 router, and your PC wants to be linked to your router by means of an Ethernet cable. Like with the Oculus Link, be certain the Oculus app is open in your PC earlier than you begin this course of.
- From your Oculus settings menu, choose Experimental and toggle Air Link on.
- When prompted, choose Continue.
- Select the quick-settings menu on the right-hand aspect of your navigation bar. Beside Wi-Fi and Guardian will likely be Air Link. Select it.
- An inventory of accessible PCs will seem. Select your PC from that record after which choose Pair.
- If that is the primary time you may have paired your PC with Air Link, a pairing code will seem in your headset and in your PC. Remove your headset to guarantee the 2 codes match, then choose Confirm on the PC app.
- Within your headset, choose Launch to open Air Link.
It will open a display an identical to the one which opens whenever you use a hyperlink cable. This is the Oculus Link display, and permits you entry to your PC and video games you won’t have the ability to play in any other case.
Troubleshooting Your Connection
While linking your Oculus Quest 2 to your PC is a reasonably simple course of, some errors can nonetheless happen. There are some things you’ll be able to strive.
If you’re making an attempt to join by means of a hyperlink cable, however you aren’t prompted to allow Oculus Link, ensure that Air Link just isn’t enabled beneath Experimental Features. Air Link should be turned off to use a hyperlink cable.
If you haven’t any audio whenever you launch Air Link, strive rebooting your headset. This is a identified challenge with the service. If your efficiency when utilizing Air Link is sub-par, strive disabling the 2.4 GHz band in your router to guarantee it stays on a 5 GHz community.
This software program continues to be thought of experimental, however most customers have good outcomes so long as they’ve a robust sufficient PC. It’s additionally the one one to play among the finest VR video games like Half-Life: Alyx on the Quest 2. If you need essentially the most high-quality VR expertise doable on the Quest headset, you’ll want to hyperlink it to your PC.