If you’re working low on disk area otherwise you’re trying to enhance your file administration, you may change the default save location in Windows 11. Here’s how.
Windows 11 assigns default save areas for recordsdata you obtain or new recordsdata you create on the system. Typically, the default save areas are in your native drive, which is often known as the C: drive. However, you could be working low on native disk area, forcing you to save recordsdata on a unique drive.
Whatever the motive, you may change the default save location in Windows 11. This information will stroll you thru altering the default save location for paperwork, music, apps, photographs and movies, new motion pictures and TV, offline maps, and even the Downloads folder itself.
Table of Contents
How to Change the Default Save Location in Windows 11
To change the default save location in Windows 11, do the following:
- Click the Start button, after which click on the Settings. You also can use the keyboard shortcut Windows key + I to open Settings instantly.
- Once Settings opens, choose System on the left and click on Storage from the listing on the proper.
- Next, click on on Advanced storage settings to broaden it and click on Where new content material is saved.
- The subsequent web page that opens will enable you to change the default save directories for numerous objects, together with new apps, new paperwork, new music, new photographs and movies, new motion pictures and TV reveals, and offline maps.
- You’ll discover the objects above are set to retailer in your native (C:) drive by default. To change the save location, click on the dropdown subsequent to every content material merchandise and decide a brand new drive—an exterior drive, for instance.
- After deciding on the drive you need to use, be sure that to click on the Apply button to affirm.
After going via every merchandise, it’ll seem on the drive you select transferring ahead. Note that the drive wants to be related to your PC for it to save and present up. For instance, for those who save new paperwork to an exterior drive and take away the drive, you’ll want to plug the drive again in to entry them.
Also, Windows will create a brand new username folder on the root of the chosen drive. For instance, if you choose a D: drive for brand new paperwork, it could be D:Users<username>Documents the place <username> is the PC’s username folder.
Change Default Downloads Folder Location in Windows 11
Changing the location of your Downloads folder permits you to isolate recordsdata out of your Windows set up after you obtain them. If you might have restricted native drive area in your Windows set up, you might transfer your Downloads folder to an exterior drive to make area.
To change the default location of the Downloads folder, do the following:
- Launch File Explorer from the taskbar and broaden the Quick Access folders in the left sidebar.
- Right-click on the Downloads folder and click on Properties.
- The Downloads Properties display screen seems—click on the Location tab at the prime.
- Change the path of the Downloads folder to the place you need it to be. Type it in if you already know it, or click on the Find Target button to browse to the new location.
- Once you select a brand new path for the Downloads folder, click on Apply.
- A dialogue message ought to come up asking in order for you to transfer recordsdata from the outdated location to the new one. In most instances, it’s finest to click on Yes. That approach, any apps that want entry to these recordsdata may have them. You’ll additionally achieve an excellent chunk of native cupboard space if downloaded recordsdata have been sitting there and taking on drive area.
- After the recordsdata copy over to the new location, click on OK.
Making Space in Windows 11
Changing the default save location of recordsdata in Windows 11 permits you to handle your disk area higher. Since most of your recordsdata will obtain by way of your browser, it’s your decision to take into account altering the Microsoft Edge obtain location subsequent.
Speaking of drives, do you know you may set up Windows 11 from a USB drive? If you’re an Office consumer, check out how to change the default Office save location on Windows.