DNS servers are one of the crucial necessary components when browsing the web. The “Domain Name System” is chargeable for translating domains or pages to IP addresses of servers to load the online pages you need to go to. In this fashion, browsers similar to Chrome or Firefox know the content material they’ve to present you on the display.
Basically, it’s a device that enables you to browse the web like people, and never like machines that solely perceive IP addresses, lengthy character traces and really lengthy numbers. All of that is thanks to the DNS servers.
How to arrange a brand new DNS server on a Windows PC
If you’ve by no means heard of DNS earlier than, don’t fear, it’s essentially the most regular factor in the world. DNS servers are at all times configured routinely, and until we wish to change them, it isn’t vital to do something to make them work and do their job correctly.
When you might be related to the web, the system at all times makes use of the DNS servers of your web operator. But what if the DNS of your operator is a bit gradual? Or in case your operator retains a report of the web sites you go to by its DNS servers?
If you might be on the lookout for a bit extra privateness and improved web page load occasions, one of the best you are able to do is configure new DNS servers. In this different submit, you possibly can see an inventory with essentially the most used free DNS servers: ” The 10 finest public and free DNS servers “.
If you need to configure a brand new DNS on a PC with Windows 10 working system, observe these steps. Also legitimate for earlier variations beginning with Windows XP.
- Open the search engine on the Windows begin bar and cargo the “Control Panel”.
- Inside the management panel, go to “Network and Sharing Center -> Change adapter settings”.
- Right-click on the community you might be related to (Ethernet or Wi-Fi) and choose “Properties.”
- Click on “Internet Protocol version 4” or model 6 if you happen to use IPV6. Select “Properties.”
- By default, you will notice that the choice “Obtain the DNS server address automatically” seems activated. To add a brand new server, verify the “Use the following DNS server addresses” field.
- Enter the IP handle of the principle server in the “Preferred DNS server” discipline.
- Next, add the IP of the secondary server in the “Alternate DNS Server” discipline.
- To end, click on on “OK” to apply the modifications.
Now that the brand new DNS is configured in your laptop, open your browser and verify how effectively the pages load and if the shopping expertise is passable. If you have got any drawback, you possibly can at all times backtrack by going again to the Control Panel and leaving the DNS settings on computerized.
How to change DNS settings in Windows 11
Although Windows 11 nonetheless maintains entry to the Control Panel, the reality is that it gives a better means to change DNS settings.
- Right-click on the Windows button on the beginning bar and choose “Settings.”
- In the aspect menu, click on on “Network and Internet”.
- Then choose “Ethernet.”
- In the “DNS server assignment” discipline, you will notice that it’s marked as computerized (DHCP). Click on “Edit”.
- Now choose “Manual”, verify the “IPv4” field and point out the first and secondary DNS server.
- If you want, you may as well select the kind of encryption for the DNS server. When you have got every little thing prepared, click on on the “Save” button.
To end, merely verify that the navigation is appropriate, and if you happen to want to return, return to the Windows 11 settings panel and go away the DNS settings in computerized mode.
Currently, there are lots of public and free DNS with fairly a very good status, similar to IBM’s DNS 188.8.131.52 or Google’s DNS 184.108.40.206. If you need to strive a brand new DNS and don’t know the place to begin, this can be a very good choice. Also, bear in mind you can change the DNS on Android: for this, you simply have to observe the steps indicated in THIS OTHER TUTORIAL that I revealed right here some time in the past.