Procreate is a strong and widespread app for art creation. There are tons of instruments accessible on the app that can assist you draw or paint no matter your creativeness needs. However, earlier than you need to use these instruments to their fullest potential, you’ll want to know how they work that can assist you obtain your required results.
Blending is one thing you might need to do typically in art work, so there are a number of methods to attain this impact in Procreate. So, you may experiment with a few of the totally different strategies to create a mixing impact you actually like.
Follow the information under to get the mix you need and make it look nice in your Procreate initiatives.
Table of Contents
Blending With the Smudge Tool
The best technique to create a mix impact in Procreate is through the use of the smudge instrument. You can swap to this instrument by tapping on the hand icon within the high proper nook. Or, you may faucet and maintain to smudge with the present brush you’re utilizing.
No matter the way you select to make use of the smudge instrument, mixing with it will likely be the identical. However, utilizing it along with your present brush may also help make the mix smoother and look higher. To use the smudge instrument successfully, observe these steps:
- Draw what you want to mix in a single layer and switch on the Alpha lock, or use a clipping masks on multiple layer. This will stop you from mixing exterior your drawing so that you might be far more exact.
- Select the Smudge instrument, and begin mixing in your drawing. Start from the shadow colour and mix out if you happen to’re utilizing your mix for shadows. If you need a good mix, begin from the center of the 2 colours and transfer from left to proper in shorter strokes.
When mixing colours, keep in mind that the top product will prove trying nicer if you happen to’re mixing analogous colours. These are colours that sit subsequent to one another on the colour wheel as an alternative of complementary colours, that are opposites.
Blending With Gaussian Blur
Another mixing choice is the Gaussian blur instrument. With this instrument, you may select to blur a whole layer or solely the place you draw along with your pencil, which makes this handy for varied conditions.
- In the top-left nook of the display screen, faucet on the magic wand icon to open the Adjustments window.
- Under Gaussian blur, choose Layer to blur a whole layer or Pencil to mix the place you draw.
- If you select Layer, you’ll choose a layer that might be blended. Then, with the Pencil, draw throughout the space you need blended collectively.
- If you need to make the blur kind of noticeable, you may change this by swiping up or down along with your finger on the display screen. Going up will improve the visibility proportion of the blur and vice versa.
Gaussian blur can present a easy mix, and altering the depth with only a swipe might be helpful.
Blending With Brushes
Maybe you need much more management over how your mix seems. Did you recognize you may truly obtain an excellent, managed mix simply through the use of brushes? This technique is ripe for experimentation, so give it a attempt subsequent time you’ve got some mixing to do.
- Select the comb you need to mix with.
- Set the underside Opacity slider within the left-hand bar with the sliders to low.
- Choose the colour you need to use as your mixing colour, and frivolously draw from that colour within the course you want to mix.
Using brushes to mix leaves much less room for errors, and it additionally means that you can make the mix look exactly the way you need. Also, you may change your brush’s settings for a wide range of results.
Tips for Blending in Procreate
If you need to get essentially the most out of your mixing and reduce the variety of errors made, you’ll need to attempt following a few of the ideas under. Feel free to decide on what works finest for you and your undertaking.
When utilizing an Apple pencil to attract, the extra you press down, the extra strain might be utilized in your brush strokes. This additionally goes for whenever you’re mixing. So, attempt utilizing lighter strokes and work up the mix till you obtain your required impact.
Use a Clipping Mask
Clipping masks are a good way to maintain your authentic drawing untouched when you do your mixing. Go to the Layers tab and add a layer above the one you want to mix. While preserving this high layer chosen, proceed along with your mixing.
A clipping masks impacts the layer beneath it solely and means that you can make modifications to it with out altering the unique drawing. It’s a good way to make mixing errors simpler to deal with.
When utilizing the smudge instrument or mixing with a brush, the kind of brush you’re utilizing will change the feel of your mix. Look by means of the comb choices earlier than mixing to determine what you need your mix to appear like. For instance, for softer shadow-like blends, check out a few of the brushes underneath the Airbrushing part.
Alternatively, you may at all times create or add customized brushes in Procreate if you happen to can’t discover precisely what you’re in search of.
To get handsome blends, you’ll need to fluctuate the scale of your brush in coordination with what you’re mixing. For instance, for bigger areas the place you need a clean mix, a bigger brush could be supreme.
Using a smaller brush dimension works finest for the sides of your artwork or for extra detailed mixing. It’s straightforward to alter the comb dimension by going to the top-most slider on the left-hand sidebar and transferring it up or down.
Blending on Procreate
Blending is a crucial method for any artist to be taught to raise their work. It can be utilized for a lot of totally different results, together with shadows, gradients, and textures. Experiment with the strategies above in your individual items to search out what actually works for you.
If you’re in search of extra artwork apps on the iPad, try our article on the best apps for artists.