Both Windows 10 and Windows 11 ship with a function referred to as ‘Backup and Restore (Windows 7)’ that enables you to create an entire system backup. The backup & restore utility of Windows makes use of the ‘Shadow copy’ function to create a system picture that gives an similar copy of the put in apps, recordsdata, and settings.
You can use the identical instrument to backup your Windows 11 knowledge to an exterior drive. Thus, if you’re searching for methods to create a full backup of your Windows 11 on an exterior drive, you have got landed on the appropriate webpage.
How to Backup Windows 11 to an External Drive (2022)
This article will present you ways to create a full backup of Windows 11 to an exterior drive. You can observe the identical technique to backup your Windows 11 to an inside drive (Primary drive). So, let’s get began.
1) Create System Image Backup through Backup and Restore
In this technique, we will probably be utilizing the Backup and Restore function to backup Windows 11 to an External drive. Follow among the easy steps we have now shared beneath.
1. First, click on on the Windows 11 search and kind in Control Panel. Next, open the Control Panel app from the checklist.
2. On the Control panel, click on on the System and Security tab.
3. Next, on the System and Security web page, scroll down and click on on the Backup and Restore (Windows 7).
4. On the following display screen, click on on the Create a system picture hyperlink.
5. Next, on the Where you need to save the backup web page, choose the ‘On a hard disk’ possibility and click on on the drop-down menu. On the drop-down menu, choose your exterior drive.
Important: The exterior drive ought to have sufficient storage and use the NTFS file system.
6. Select your exterior drive on the drop-down and click on on the Next button.
7. Now choose the drives you need to embody in the backup. Once performed, click on on the Next button.
8. On the affirmation window, click on on the Start backup button.
9. Now, look forward to a couple of minutes till the instrument creates the system picture backup. Once created, open your exterior drive; one can find a brand new folder, ‘WindowsImageBackup’. This is the folder the place the backup picture is saved.
That’s it! This will create a system picture backup in your Windows 11 through the Backup and Restore utility.
2) Backup Windows 11 To External Drive through File History
Unlike the Backup & Restore, which creates and saves a full system picture, the File historical past will solely backup just a few important folders akin to paperwork, music, photos, movies, and desktop folders. Here’s how to backup Windows 11 folders to an External drive through File History.
1. Click on the Windows 11 Search and kind in Control Panel. Next, open the Control Panel app from the checklist.
2. On the Control Panel, click on on the File History.
3. On the left sidebar, choose the Select Drive hyperlink.
4. Select your exterior drive the place you need to backup Windows 11 recordsdata & folders on the following display screen. Once performed, click on on the Ok button.
5. Now return to the earlier web page and click on on the Turn on possibility.
That’s it! The File History instrument will save copies of your recordsdata for the primary time in your exterior drive. Open the External drive and choose the File History folder to entry the backup recordsdata. You will discover your libraries, desktop, contacts, and favorites folders there.
So, that’s all about how to backup Windows 11 to an exterior drive with out utilizing any third-party instrument. If you might be searching for extra methods to backup & restore Windows 11, you want to begin utilizing the third-party backup & restore instruments for Windows.