Since the invention of the keyboard, many writing duties have change into simple to carry out, like typing with alphabet keys or account preserving with quantity keys. Also, with the fast and complete developments in expertise, the keyboard has made its method into smartphones, making it much more accessible. Nowadays, some duties can’t be accomplished with out the use of the keyboard. So, to grasp the keyboard in-depth to hurry up your duties in day by day life, you must know the kinds of keys on a pc keyboard. Keep studying this text to know this together with the features of each key on the pc keyboard.
How Many Types of Keys on a Computer Keyboard
If you have a look at the keyboard on your Desktop or Laptop, you will note the totally different units of keys with particular indicative letters on them. These keys are categorised to accommodate totally different features that you should use to carry out particular actions after urgent them. The classification of these keyboard keys may be seen as:
- Alphabet Keys
- Number Keys
- Punctuation Keys
- Special Keys
- Modifier Keys
- Function Keys
- Navigation Keys
- Toggle Keys
These eight sorts of keys on a pc keyboard help you carry out a number of actions and shortcuts to make use of the keyboard comprehensively. Now, allow us to study what are the different sorts of keys in a pc keyboard intimately with the features of each key on the pc keyboard.
Note: The below-mentioned features for numerous keys are listed for the Windows Operating System.
1. Alphabet Keys
A to Z keys are referred to as alphabet keys that are an important sorts of keys on keyboard.
- There are a whole of 26 alphabet keys resent on the keyboard.
- Most of the keyboards have a QWERTY association of the keys that aren’t in alphabetical order.
- You can use these alphabet keys to sort out phrases to type sentences and paragraphs for essays, paperwork, or articles, just like the one you might be studying now.
- With the use of the Shift key, which is a modifier key, you may also sort uppercase and lowercase letters to take care of the grammatical and formatting guidelines within the writing.
2. Number Keys
The quantity keys are located in two places on the keyboard with totally different features. In each places, there are 10 keys, starting from 1 to 0.
Option I: Symbol Keys
The quantity keys immediately above the alphabet keys additionally work as image keys. These symbols will also be typed out utilizing the Shift key. Below is the desk illustration of every key denoting the image it features:
|Number Keys||Respective Symbols|
Option II: Numeric Keypad
It is located on the finish of the best facet of the keyboard. It resembles the phone quantity pads, therefore the identify, Numeric Keypad. It additionally operated in these two totally different modes:
- Num Lock On: All the keys, from 1 to 0, produces the respective digits.
- Num Lock Off: The keys 7, 1, 9, and three act like scroll keys, and 8, 2. 4, and 6 like navigation keys.
|8||Up Arrow Key|
|2||Down Arrow Key|
|4||Left Arrow Key|
|6||Right Arrow Key|
Also Read: Fix keyboard Input lag in Windows 10
3. Punctuation Keys
The punctuation keys are additionally one of the vital sorts of keys on a pc keyboard.
- The punctuations like comma (,), full cease (.), semicolon (;), colon (:), and many others. are current on each keyboard.
- These punctuation keys can be utilized to supply two punctuation marks with one key with the assistance of the Shift key.
- These keys are most vital to appropriately punctuate the written textual content to supply grammatically right and correctly punctuated textual content.
4. Special Keys
The particular keys current on the keyboard are used to hold out particular actions within the textual content editor. Some of the particular keys and their features are listed under:
- Spacebar key: To give spacing between two impartial phrases to type a sentence.
- Enter key: To shift the cursor to the subsequent line within the textual content editor.
- Backspace key: To delete the phrases and spacing earlier than the cursor.
- Windows key: To open the Start Menu and use totally different shortcuts, like Windows + I to open the Settings app.
- Escape key (Esc): To shut a popup window or to cancel/interrupt present working applications/processes.
- Delete key: To delete chosen photographs or textual content.
Also Read: How to Fix Windows Key Disabled
5. Modifier Keys
Modifier keys are used to modify the motion of one other particular key for a momentary interval. Also, modifier keys have no operate on their very own. They must be utilized in mixture to carry out a sure motion or operate.
- Shift key: To toggle between uppercase/lowercase letters or change between two totally different punctuations with one particular key.
- Control key (Ctrl): To open a new tab within the browser, create new folders, open totally different job home windows, and many others.
- Alt (Alternate) key: To alternate the operate of the opposite pressed keys on the keyboard.
- Alt Gr (Alternate Graphic) key: To sort characters like ©, ā, æ, and many others., with the assistance of the alphabet and different modifier keys.
6. Function Keys
The operate keys start with the letter F and reside on the topmost half of the keyboard. The operate keys on the keyboard begin from F1 and finish at F12. There can also be an extra operate key Fn on the keyboard.
- F1: To open the assistance menu in Microsoft Office functions and a assist window in browsers, like Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome.
- F2: To entry file edit features and even information in Windows Explorer, Microsoft Excel, and different a number of applications.
- F3: To search information and folders within the Windows File Explorer and different functions as nicely. Shift + F3 permits customers to go looking backward.
- F4: Ctrl + F4 is used to shut a tab in a browser window. Alt + F4 is used to shut your entire browser window and shut down the Windows PC.
- F5: To refresh/reload a tab in a browser window and refresh the folder in File Explorer as nicely.
- F6: To spotlight and choose the URL in a browser window. Also, it’s used to maneuver to the subsequent pane in PowerPoint.
- F7: To carry out Caret Browsing, which means utilizing a internet web page with out the assistance of a mouse, like highlighting the picks. In the phrase processors and textual content editors, it’s used to navigate to the totally different sentences throughout the doc.
- F8: To open macros dialog with the Alt key.
- F9: To refresh a doc in Microsoft Word and recalculate the workbook in Excel.
- F10: To activate the menu bar. It additionally prompts the context menu when utilized in mixture with the Shift key.
- F11: To open the script editor and visible fundamental editor when utilized in mixture with Shift and Alt keys.
- F12: To open Developer Tools in numerous browsers like Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox, and many others.
- Fn: To carry out toggle display brightness, improve/lower quantity, and plenty of different actions together with the F1 to F12 operate keys.
Also Read: How to Enable Dell Keyboard Backlight Settings
Navigation keys are the kinds of keys on a pc keyboard which might be important with the next features to make the most of:
- These navigation keys are used to navigate a webpage or a textual content editor window line by line.
- As talked about earlier than, the Numeric Keypad keys: 8, 4, 2, and 6 will also be used as navigation keys when the Num Lock is off.
- These keys are very helpful when enjoying video games or dealing with duties like video enhancing.
8. Toggle Keys
The toggle keys toggle the motion of particular keys for a interval till the toggle secret’s lively. There are three toggle keys:
- Caps Lock: When lively, the alphabet keys sort letters in uppercase, in any other case lowercase.
- Num Lock: As talked about earlier than, it’s used to toggle the actions of the numerical keys on the keyboard.
- Scroll Lock: This key has been vanishing from most fashionable keyboards. There isn’t any use for it and it doesn’t assist the compact design of the keyboards. But whether it is on a keyboard, it helps lock the scrolling on a web page till it’s lively.
We hope you will have understood the totally different sorts of keys on a pc keyboard with the assistance of this text. If you will have any queries about this text or ideas for some other matter, ship them to us via the feedback field under.