The default file administration device in Windows working system is File Explorer. This in-built utility named File Explorer permit you to find, rename, add or delete information and folders. While opening File Explorer, Windows could show a message stating Windows Explorer has stopped working or Windows Explorer not responding. Also, the display screen may flicker. Often, File Explorer works too gradual, making the work of navigating between completely different folders tedious for customers. If you might be on the lookout for an answer to repair File Explorer not responding in Windows 10, then this information will provide help to.
How to Fix Windows 10 File Explorer Not Responding
Listed beneath are the principle causes for File Explorer not responding in Windows 10 PCs:
- Outdated Windows model
- No area in system drives
- Corrupt working system information
- Virus or malware assault
- Outdated or broken video card driver
- RAM or ROM errors
- Microsoft log-in account difficulty
- Problems with Windows search bar
- Excessive context menu objects
Pro Tip: Determine Why File Explorer is Not Responding
Find the reason for File Explorer not responding error utilizing Reliability History as follows:
1. Click on Start, sort View reliability historical past, then press the Enter key.
2. Wait till Windows generates the Review your pc’s reliability and downside historical past report.
3. Click on the newest date when the error occurred and verify Reliability particulars.
4. Here, you possibly can view Windows Explorer Stopped working abstract.
5. Click on View technical particulars choice to see the entire particulars of the error.
Note: Before implementing the given options, it’s suggested to wash boot your system. This will load solely the important information and packages and assist establish the non-Microsoft apps which can be inflicting issues like File Explorer not responding in Windows 10. Read our information to Perform Clean boot in Windows 10 right here.
Method 1: Restart Windows Explorer
Ending or Restarting its job will assist repair the stated difficulty. Follow these steps to restart File Explorer, beforehand often called Windows Explorer, from Task Manager:
1. Hit the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys concurrently to launch Task Manager.
2. In the Processes tab, right-click on Windows Explorer and click on Restart as depicted beneath.
Method 2: Disable Preview and Details Panes
Often, File Explorer could face points whereas opening if Preview and Details panes are enabled. Follow the beneath steps to disable these panes:
1. Press Windows + E keys collectively to open File Explorer.
2. Click on View in the menu bar as proven.
3. Ensure that the Preview pane and Details pane choices are disabled.
Also Read: How to Remove OneDrive from Windows 10 File Explorer
Method 3: Delete Temporary Files
Your machine ought to have sufficient disk area for the File Explorer course of and repair to run correctly. Insufficient disk area can also be one of many causes for this difficulty. Follow given steps to delete temp information to free-up reminiscence area:
1. Press the Windows + R keys concurrently to open Run dialog field.
2. Type %temp% and hit Enter key to open AppData Local Temp folder.
3. Press Ctrl + A keys collectively to pick out all of the unrequired information and press the Shift + Del keys collectively to delete them completely.
Note: Some information can’t be deleted coz they’re getting used, so you possibly can skip these.
Method 4: Troubleshoot Windows Hardware and Devices
Windows gives customers with in-built troubleshooter to repair any minor points. Hence, strive operating Hardware and Devices troubleshooter to resolve File Explorer not responding in Windows 10 difficulty.
Note: Additionally, to filter out extra space learn our information on How to Delete Win Setup Files in Windows 10.
1. Launch the Run dialog field as earlier. Type msdt.exe -id DeviceDiagnostic and hit Enter to open the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.
2. Click on the Advanced possibility, as proven.
3. Check the Apply repairs mechanically possibility and click on on Next.
4. Click on Next to proceed.
5. The troubleshooter will now run. If issues are detected, it is going to show two choices:
- Apply this repair
- Skip this repair.
6. Here, click on on Apply this repair, and restart your PC.
Also Read: How to Eject External Hard Drive on Windows 10
Method 5: Run Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
Any points with the reminiscence card additionally trigger issues with File Explorer. You can diagnose and repair it utilizing Windows Memory Diagnostic device as follows:
1. Click on Start, sort Windows Memory Diagnostic and press the Enter key.
2. Click on Restart now and verify for issues (advisable) possibility proven highlighted.
3. After booting up, strive launching the File Explorer.
Method 6: Clear File Explorer History
All the visited places in the File Explorer are saved. Clearing this cache may also help repair File Explorer not responding in Windows 10 downside as follows:
1. Hit the Windows key, sort management panel, and click on on Open.
2. Set View by: as Large icons and select File Explorer Options from the record.
3. In the General tab, go to the Privacy part and click on on Clear button comparable to Clear File Explorer historical past.
4. Then, click on OK to save lots of these adjustments.
Also Read: How to Run File Explorer as Administrator in Windows 11
Method 7: Reset File Explorer Options
If you could have not too long ago made adjustments to your File Explorer choices, then this might additionally trigger the Windows 10 File Explorer not to reply to right-click difficulty. Here’s the way to reset File Explorer and folder choices:
1. Launch Control Panel and go to File Explorer Options as instructed in Method 6.
2. Here, in the General tab, click on Restore Defaults button proven highlighted.
3. Next, change to the View tab.
4. Click on Reset Folders, then click on Yes to substantiate as depicted.
5. Finally, click on Apply to save lots of adjustments and click on OK to exit.
Method 8: Open File Explorer to This PC
If the difficulty persists even after clearing the File Explorer historical past, then open the File Explorer to this PC. Follow the beneath steps.
1. Again, go to the Control Panel > File Explorer Options as illustrated in Method 6.
2. Under the General tab, in the Open File Explorer to: drop-down select This PC possibility.
3. Click Apply > OK to save lots of adjustments.
Also Read: Fix Windows 10 Start Menu Search Not Working
Method 9: Rebuild Search Index
File Explorer is built-in with Windows Search. So, any points with Windows Search will trigger issues with File Explorer. Follow this technique to rebuild the search index on Windows 10.
Note: Ensure that you just log into your PC as an administrator.
1. Open Control Panel and set View by > Large icons.
2. Then, select Indexing Options from the record as proven.
3. Click on the Advanced button.
4. Now, click on on Rebuild in the Index Settings tab.
5. Click on OK to substantiate.
6. Restart your PC and check out opening File Explorer because it ought to work with out issues.
Method 10: Change Display Settings
Changing the show settings like font dimension and kind also can trigger File Manager to not reply. Follow the beneath steps to change show settings:
1. Hit the Windows + I keys concurrently to open Settings.
2. Click on System settings tile, as proven.
3. In the Scale and format part, select Recommended choices for the next sections.
- Change the scale of textual content, apps, and different objects
- Display decision
4. Then, click on on Advance scaling settings
5. Here, clear the values beneath Custom scaling and click on on Apply.
Also Read: Fix PC Turns On But No Display
Method 11: Update Graphics Driver
Outdated or broken video drivers could be the motive for show points. This additionally causes File Explorer not responding Windows 7 or 10 difficulty. Follow the beneath steps to replace graphics driver:
1. Click on Start, sort machine supervisor, and hit the Enter key.
2. Double-click Display adapters to develop it.
3. Right-click on video driver (e.g. Intel (R) UHD Graphics) and select Update driver as depicted beneath.
4. Next, click on on Search mechanically for drivers as proven.
5A. If the drivers have been up to date already, it exhibits The greatest drivers on your machine are already put in.
5B. If the drivers are outdated, then they are going to get up to date mechanically. Lastly, restart your PC.
Method 12: Run SFC & DISM Scans
If any of the working system information get broken or lacking, then the Windows performance like File Explorer could fail to carry out. Repairing system information in Windows 10 will resolve most points together with File Explorer not responding.
1. Hit the Windows key, sort Command Prompt and click on on Run as administrator.
2. Click on Yes in the User Account Control immediate.
3. Type sfc /scannow and press Enter key to run System File Checker scan.
Note: A system scan will likely be initiated and it’ll take a few minutes to complete. Meanwhile, you possibly can proceed performing different actions however be conscious of not unintentionally closing the window.
After finishing the scan, it is going to present both of the messages.
- Windows Resource Protection didn’t discover any integrity violations
- Windows Resource Protection couldn’t carry out the requested operation
- Windows Resource Protection discovered corrupt information and efficiently repaired them
- Windows Resource Protection discovered corrupt information however was unable to repair a few of them
4. Once the scan is completed, restart your PC.
Check whether or not the error prevails. If sure, then observe these directions to run DISM scan:
5. Again, launch Command Prompt as administrator and execute the given instructions one after the opposite:
dism.exe /Online /cleanup-image /scanhealth dism.exe /Online /cleanup-image /restorehealth dism.exe /Online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup
Note: You will need to have a working web connection to execute DISM instructions correctly.
Also Read: How to Configure Indexing Options on Windows 11
Method 13: Log-in with Local User Account
Any points in Microsoft account can also consequence in a File Explorer not responding difficulty. Log in utilizing a neighborhood person account as follows:
1. Launch Windows Settings click on on Accounts tile, as proven.
2. Click on the Sign in with a neighborhood account as an alternative.
3. Click on the Next button in the Are you certain you wish to change to a neighborhood account window.
4. Enter the Windows Security PIN to confirm.
5. Then, enter your native account data viz User title, New password, Confirm password & Password trace and click on on Next.
6. Click Sign out and end button proven highlighted.
7. Sign in utilizing your newly created native account and launch File Explorer.
Method 14: Run Malware Scan
Sometimes, virus or malware can also trigger your File Explorer to not work. Follow the beneath steps to run malware scan:
1. Hit Windows + I keys concurrently to launch Settings.
2. Here, click on on Update & Security settings as proven.
3. Go to Windows Security in the left pane.
4. Click on the Virus & risk safety possibility in the proper pane.
5. Click on the Quick Scan button to seek for malware.
6A. Once the scan is finished, all of the threats will likely be displayed. Click on Start Actions beneath Current threats.
6B. If there isn’t any risk in your machine, the machine will present the No present threats alert.
Also Read: Enable or Disable User Accounts in Windows 10
Method 15: Update Windows OS
Updating Windows would tremendously assist in fixing Windows 10 File Explorer not responding errors:
1. Navigate to Windows Security > Update & Security as proven in Method 14.
2. In the Windows Update tab, click on on Check for updates button.
3A. If a brand new replace is obtainable, click on Install now and restart your PC to implement it.
3B. Otherwise, if the Windows is up-to-date, then it is going to present You’re updated message.
Also Read: Fix Windows Update Error 0x80070005
Method 16: Roll Back Updates
New updates could trigger File Explorer not responding Windows 7/10 difficulty in your machine. To repair this difficulty, you need to roll again the Windows replace as follows:
1. Navigate to Settings > Update & Security as proven beforehand.
2. In the Windows Update, Click on the View replace historical past.
3. Click on Uninstall updates.
4. Choose the newest replace of Microsoft Windows (For instance, KB5007289) and click on on Uninstall button as highlighted.
5. Finally, restart your Windows 10 PC.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Does resetting the PC assist repair File Explorer not responding difficulty?
Ans. Yes, this technique would assist in fixing the issue. But just be sure you again up your information and set up purposes earlier than resetting. You can select the Keep my information possibility whereas resetting, however this selection will nonetheless take away put in purposes and settings.
Q2. Does restoring the PC utilizing restoration mode assist repair the File Explorer not responding difficulty?
Ans. Yes, it is going to assist in resolving this difficulty. Similar to resetting the PC, all of the put in purposes and video games will likely be deleted. Ensure to again up your information and set up purposes earlier than resetting them.
Hence, it’s advisable to Create a System Restore Point commonly.
We hope that this information may provide help to repair File Explorer not responding in Windows 10. Let us know which of the strategies above helped you resolve this difficulty. Drop your queries and solutions in the remark part beneath.
Pete is a Senior workers author at TechCult. Pete loves all issues know-how and can also be an avid DIYer at coronary heart. He has a decade of expertise writing how-tos, options, and know-how guides on the web.