OneDrive is nice for storing, sharing, and syncing recordsdata, however what if it stops working? You can repair OneDrive not syncing utilizing this beneficial information.
OneDrive comes preinstalled with Windows and is a wonderful instrument for syncing your recordsdata between gadgets. Typically, you’ll be able to arrange OneDrive and neglect about it. However, at instances, it might not work as easily as anticipated.
For instance, you may discover that recordsdata aren’t syncing appropriately or throwing up sync errors, or particular recordsdata gained’t sync whereas others do. If that occurs, you’ll need to repair OneDrive not syncing.
Whatever the problem, it’s troublesome when your recordsdata in OneDrive aren’t syncing the best way they need to. Here is a have a look at 12 methods to repair OneDrive not syncing on Windows.
Table of Contents
Before You Begin
If you’re having sync points with OneDrive, it might be good to press a button and repair it. Unfortunately, there are completely different errors, and every one requires its personal repair and a number of fixes.
Before you start, it’s vital to notice that OneDrive doesn’t delete recordsdata which have synced by way of the OneDrive app. After using every repair, check OneDrive to see if the issue is solved.
Another very important factor to notice is that these fixes will work on OneDrive for Windows 11 or 10.
1. Check OneDrive for Error Codes
This possibility could be difficult as OneDrive doesn’t at all times present error codes. But should you do get an error code, learn Microsoft’s guidelines for each error.
It’s additionally price noting that Microsoft supplies sync codes and messages. Unfortunately, they don’t all apply to OneDrive, however they may give you a great begin with troubleshooting if error messages do seem.
2. Close and Reopen OneDrive App
Like restarting an app or your PC to get issues working, you’ll be able to shut and reopen OneDrive. For instance, a file can get caught up whereas making an attempt to sync, or a file may have froze up whereas syncing.
You can restart OneDrive utilizing the next steps:
- Right-click the OneDrive icon on the taskbar.
- Select the Gear icon on the top-right nook and click on Quit OneDrive.
- Click the Close OneDrive button when the verification message seems.
- Restart OneDrive from the Start menu and see if it syncs recordsdata now.(*11*)
3. Verify Storage Amount
If you’ve reached your storage restrict, recordsdata aren’t going to sync with OneDrive anymore. Basic customers solely obtain 5 GB of storage by default. To get a full TB of storage, you want to join the Microsoft 365 suite of apps.
To examine your storage on OneDrive, use the next steps:
- Right-click the OneDrive icon from the taskbar.
- In the menu, press the Gear icon and select Settings.
- If you might have reached the storage allotment, it’s possible you’ll want to go in and delete recordsdata or transfer massive recordsdata to one other location.
- If you want further storage, click on the Get extra storage hyperlink. That will deliver you to your OneDrive internet web page. You can purchase extra storage, beginning with 200 GB for $1.99/month.
4. Disable Sync Pausing in Battery Saver Mode
Running on a low battery? Your OneDrive recordsdata will cease syncing by default to cut back the calls for in your PC. Your PC is perhaps in battery saver mode when this occurs.
To disable OneDrive sync pausing in battery saver mode:
- Launch OneDrive from the taskbar and press the Gear icon.
- Click Settings within the menu.
- Open the Settings tab and uncheck the Automatically pause sync when this system is in battery saver mode possibility.
Note that whereas this selection will permit OneDrive syncing whereas in Battery Saver mode, it’s going to lower your battery energy. However, it is perhaps obligatory whenever you want to sync a important file.
5. Unlink and Link Your OneDrive Account
It’s very important to be sure that OneDrive hyperlinks to your acceptable Microsoft account. Removing your account and relinking to it may well repair OneDrive syncing points.
To unlink and relink your account in OneDrive:
- Launch OneDrive from the taskbar, click on the Gear icon, and click on Settings from the menu.
- Under the Account tab, click on the Unlink this PC hyperlink.
- Click the Unlink account button when the verification dialog seems.
- After unlinking your account, restart OneDrive, undergo the setup course of once more, and enter your appropriate Microsoft account credentials.
6. Update Windows
Windows updates are important for the safety and stability of your system. They typically embrace bug fixes for Windows purposes, together with OneDrive, which may repair a OneDrive sync bug.
Some updates would require you to restart your system. If you don’t need that interruption, configure the Active Hours characteristic first.
Use the next steps to replace your Windows system:
- For Windows 11, click on Start > Settings and click on Windows Update on the left.
- Click the Check for updates button on the precise and obtain any out there updates.
- To examine for updates on Windows 10, go to Start > Settings > Update & Security.
- Click the Check for updates button and set up any out there updates.
7. Restart Your Windows PC
Restarting your PC can repair many points, together with OneDrive not syncing. For Windows 11, simply comply with these restart directions.
To restart Windows 10, right-click the Start button and choose Shut down or signal out > Restart.
Hopefully, after the restart, OneDrive needs to be syncing recordsdata efficiently.
8. Pause Syncing and Resume
If OneDrive syncing appears to freeze up, you might need misplaced your connection. OneDrive may often freeze up if a file add is interrupted and may’t resume. You can manually pause syncing and resume it to repair the problem.
To pause and resume OneDrive syncing:
- Open OneDrive from the taskbar.
- Click the Gear icon and choose Pause syncing—select 2 hours for this since we’re going to resume syncing.
- Now, open OneDrive from the taskbar and click on the Gear icon once more.
- From the menu, click on Resume syncing.
Wait for OneDrive to re-establish its connection to the web. This ought to hopefully resolve the problem for many customers.
9. Check Microsoft for Service or Connection Errors
If you’re nonetheless having points with OneDrive syncing recordsdata, it’s price checking with the supply—Microsoft. If any Microsoft providers are down, it may level to a problem that you simply personally can’t resolve.
You can examine this by going to the Microsoft service health website. From right here, you’ll be able to examine on OneDrive to ensure that it’s up and working. You may examine different providers right here like Skype, Outlook.com, and different providers.
In this occasion, every little thing is up and working, however it might be on the positioning if there have been a problem.
10. Check Network Bandwidth Restrictions
If you’re utilizing a restricted bandwidth connection, you will have put bandwidth restrictions on OneDrive with out realising it. If you urgently want recordsdata to sync to your OneDrive storage, nonetheless, you’ll be able to take away these limits till the sync is full.
To take away bandwidth restrictions on OneDrive, use the next steps:
- Open OneDrive from the taskbar, click on the Gear icon, and click on Settings.
- When the Settings display screen opens, click on the Network tab on the high.
- From the Network tab, set the add and obtain price’s to Don’t restrict.
Leave the community settings till your file(s) sync. If you might have many recordsdata, it’s possible you’ll discover that OneDrive prioritizes itself over different on-line apps and providers. Once your recordsdata are synced up, set the add and obtain speeds again to the place they had been beforehand.
11. Reinstall OneDrive
If OneDrive nonetheless isn’t syncing, it’s possible you’ll want to attempt to reinstall it. It’s additionally vital to notice that you simply gained’t lose any of your recordsdata, and the app will resync when you reinstall it.
Other than that, uninstalling the app is straightforward and you may reinstall the app from the Microsoft Store. If you don’t need to use the shop, use this direct OneDrive download link.
You can uninstall and reinstall OneDrive by doing the next:
- Open Start > Settings and click on Apps > Installed apps.
- In the Search apps area, kind onedrive.
- Click the OneDrive three-dot button and choose Uninstall from the menu.
- When the verification message seems, click on the Uninstall button.
- After the OneDrive app uninstalls, set up the most recent model in your PC (and check in with the identical Microsoft account particulars). OneDrive can even resync all of your recordsdata.
Not on Windows 11 but? You may reinstall OneDrive on Windows 10.
Using OneDrive on Windows
OneDrive is a wonderful characteristic constructed into Windows 10 and Windows 11. You can alter it to backup your native recordsdata whenever you initially arrange your PC. If it doesn’t sync the best way it ought to, utilizing one of many choices above ought to repair OneDrive not syncing to assist you get again on observe.
You can do rather a lot with OneDrive—for example, you can also make Excel recordsdata routinely save to OneDrive or you’ll be able to attempt cool issues like casting media from OneDrive to Android. Or, how about streaming music from OneDrive to Chromecast?